Suggestion List of members with the most positive comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
pauldw

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like looking at the ratio of good reaction scores to total posts (and screening out people with only a few posts since there wouldn’t be much statistical relevance in those cases) would create a decent metric showing how helpful any given member’s posts were seen by the community. Of course, one can just look at any given person’s two numbers and calculate it. But that’s a person by person thing. It might be interesting to have a list somewhere on the site listing perhaps the hundred most positive ratios, as that might make it easy to go through those people’s posts and see interesting things we might’ve missed. On the other hand, if such a list would just create bad feelings, it might not be worth it.

Why not just eliminate post counts and reaction scores altogether?

Because at the end of the day, on most of the board, a users post/reaction score, at face value, is a good indicator of reliability.

Because at the end of the day, on most of the board, a users post/reaction score, at face value, is a good indicator of reliability.
Said the person with very high counts in each that seems to come from the Pub....

Said the person with very high counts in each that seems to come from the Pub....
Correct.

And that means that it's not a good indicator?

I've also been active on this board for nearly 18 years....

And that means that it's not a good indicator?
Very high counts suggest the pub and pub counts are unreliable indicators. It did suggest as a self serving indicator. But that does not make it a bad indicator, if pub counts are taken with a pound of salt.

Because it is a useful, but imperfect indicator. Non-diving forums do bias both counts for a relatively small number of members, but they represent a small percentage.

I doubt that anyone thinks that the highest reaction score makes that person the only person on the ScubaBoard worth reading. It also doesn't matter that many reactions are an agreement as opposed to a profound observation or clever new idea. That fact that many people agree is one indicator that that person's writing might be worth readings.

Very high counts suggest the pub and pub counts are unreliable indicators. It did suggest as a self serving indicator. But that does not make it a bad indicator, if pub counts are takes with a pound of salt.

True. In the end, people trust members with posts that make the most sense and teach them something useful. That will quickly replace over dependence on Reactions alone.

I was originally broaching a thought, and didn’t know whether it was a good idea. This thread has a lot of good insights into the pros and cons of the question. The quality of the discussion is heartening. One thing I definitely was not aiming at, was some sort of Chinese style social credit score.

Very high counts suggest the pub and pub counts are unreliable indicators. It did suggest as a self serving indicator. But that does not make it a bad indicator, if pub counts are taken with a pound of salt.
Thus

Because at the end of the day, on most of the board , a users post/reaction score, at face value , is a good indicator of reliability.

Or..... it could be someone who just says.... "welcome" or "agree" or even just a smiley face..... 10 or 20 thousand times. And then that same person can just open up another account and then "like" all of their own posts.. I personally have my own list of folks on this forum that I have come to appreciate and trust.....and another list of folks that are in the "other" category

Back
Top Bottom