Suggestion List of members with the most positive comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
pauldw

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like looking at the ratio of good reaction scores to total posts (and screening out people with only a few posts since there wouldn’t be much statistical relevance in those cases) would create a decent metric showing how helpful any given member’s posts were seen by the community. Of course, one can just look at any given person’s two numbers and calculate it. But that’s a person by person thing. It might be interesting to have a list somewhere on the site listing perhaps the hundred most positive ratios, as that might make it easy to go through those people’s posts and see interesting things we might’ve missed. On the other hand, if such a list would just create bad feelings, it might not be worth it.

The likes and other reactions are relatively worthless, especially if you include the "Non-Diving Related Stuff", "The Pub" and "Surface Interval". As per @tursiops who is really going to curate the quality of posts, nobody.

So, I have 15,838 posts and a reaction score of 12,866 since I joined in Sept of 2004, do my posts have value? Most of my posts are actually about scuba diving, a few are with the ruffians, when I can't stand it.
Yeah, some of your posts are of lasting value. I hope some of mine are, too.
My point is that counting "likes" should not be confused with curating the collections.
Isn't there some sort of nomination process where one can suggest posts that ought to be highlighted?

Yeah, some of your posts are of lasting value. I hope some of mine are, too.
My point is that counting "likes" should not be confused with curating the collections.
Isn't there some sort of nomination process where one can suggest posts that ought to be highlighted?
I don't think there is any reasonable way to classify posts as such. Besides, it is in the eye of the beholder :)

Q&A systems like stackexchange uses create some valuable content. Best answer(s) move to the top through votes. Voters have a somewhat high bar to entry as well.

What you *really* want is a reaction for "this post is full of good information and worth reading."

I understand that views of threads sorted by Reactions scores is one of xenForo's future goals.

The goal ought to be to curate the threads/posts so someone looking for information can find something that is not full of nonsense, incorrect, irrelevant, or off-topic info.

Our first attempt at organizing "curated posts" is the ScubaBoard Knowledge Base. These threads go through a nomination process and every ScubaBoard Staff member can vote. A no vote is a veto. It is a pretty labor intensive process. The Member's Picks forum is another attempt to make especially good threads easier to find.

The "Question thread type" was introduced by xenForo in the last our last upgrade. It allows members to vote up or down replies and the OP to mark a Reply as the best answer. At some point, sorting members and posts by this score may be an option.

I would like to see this new feature used more, but changes take time.

Resources is another new feature that is curated by staff to a less stringent standard than the Knowledge Base.

On the plus side, incorrect information rarely goes unchallenged on Internet forums in general and ScubaBoard in particular. Reading those debates can be very informative, but requires a lot of reading.

Of course these comments should NOT be construed as meeting the objective of this thread. Experiments and baby steps toward that end perhaps, but far from meeting the goal.

The likes and other reactions are relatively worthless, especially if you include the "Non-Diving Related Stuff", "The Pub" and "Surface Interval". As per @tursiops who is really going to curate the quality of posts, nobody.

Worthless might be a little overstated, especially for readers new to ScubaBoard. It is an indicator, imperfect as it may be. Message counts, Reaction scores, and all the information on our "About" pages are clues for people to begin evaluating the members behind the posts.

I think it is helpful to focus on the needs of newer and less experienced readers (guests and members). Frequent readers develop opinions of the value of other member's posts, but it takes a lot of time.

Our first attempt at organizing "curated posts" is the ScubaBoard Knowledge Base. These threads go through a nomination process and every ScubaBoard Staff member can vote. A no vote is a veto. It is a pretty labor intensive process. The Member's Picks forum is another attempt to make especially good threads easier to find.

The "Question thread type" was introduced by xenForo in the last our last upgrade. It allows members to vote up or down replies and the OP to mark a Reply as the best answer. At some point, sorting members and posts by this score may be an option.
This is what I was thinking about. Thanks.

Q&A systems like stackexchange uses create some valuable content. Best answer(s) move to the top through votes. Voters have a somewhat high bar to entry as well.

Can you tell us more? Is it anything like the voting features in the Question thread type?

1651097553302.png
On a related note, please express your opinion of this suggestion by up or downvoting the OP:

Can you tell us more? Is it anything like the voting features in the Question thread type?

View attachment 719688On a related note, please express your opinion of this suggestion by up or downvoting the OP:
Yes, just like this! Nice!

Create a special sub forum and let the Mods selected those posts that worth to be taken seriously by all of us regardless of experiences etc etc.

View attachment 719688On a related note, please express your opinion of this suggestion by up or downvoting the OP:

Back
Top Bottom