Suggestion List of members with the most positive comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
pauldw

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like looking at the ratio of good reaction scores to total posts (and screening out people with only a few posts since there wouldn’t be much statistical relevance in those cases) would create a decent metric showing how helpful any given member’s posts were seen by the community. Of course, one can just look at any given person’s two numbers and calculate it. But that’s a person by person thing. It might be interesting to have a list somewhere on the site listing perhaps the hundred most positive ratios, as that might make it easy to go through those people’s posts and see interesting things we might’ve missed. On the other hand, if such a list would just create bad feelings, it might not be worth it.

An issue is the pub. Where lets say "possibly low content" comments are traded back and fourth and liked heavily. Which makes the like metric rather 'tainted' as far as positivity or say constructiveness of the contribution they offer. In the context of scuba discussion. Or so it seems.

I think it’s a great suggestion, but we’d have to figure out how to separate the ‘likes’ and posts from the non-diving forums from the diving forums.

About 10 year's ago at an Orlando DEMA show, I was talking with a handful of SB Moderators who had gathered together. As usual the discussion turned to “Colorful Members” . I mentioned that it takes a super-power of strength NOT TO HIT THAT ENTER KEY after you've typed a smart-azzed reply to a post. One of the mods said,,,Johnoly-try to keep your Likes higher than your post count.

If you think your reply won't get a like(& be helpful), then don't hit the enter key. Many may disagree with that advice, but it has worked for me. My Post/likes ratio isn't as high as others like @Wookie and several others, but I'm in the green instead of the red. It was great Mod advice at the time and I try to stick with it (But it's really hard sometimes not to slam down that Enter Key !! )
{ I'm not a member of the pub either}

I think it’s a great suggestion, but we’d have to figure out how to separate the ‘likes’ and posts from the non-diving forums from the diving forums.
Yeah, ignore the non-diving-related forums -- especially the pub -- and ignore the negative/neutral reactions, like Confusing or Disagree.

I understand that xenForo has wider plans for more extensive use of Reactions. I haven't noticed discussions on making them weighted by forum but it is a suggestion worth making.

Getting very specific, what kind reports or views of Reactions would be useful?

I understand that xenForo has wider plans for more extensive use of Reactions. I haven't noticed discussions on making them weighted by forum but it is a suggestion worth making.

Getting very specific, what kind reports or views of Reactions would be useful?
What you *really* want is a reaction for "this post is full of good information and worth reading." Unfortunately, "Like" or "Brilliant" or "Bullseye" often just means, "I agree with this post" so it is more like an echo-chamber than it is a curation of the post. But, that's what we have.

The goal ought to be to curate the threads/posts so someone looking for information can find something that is not full of nonsense, incorrect, irrelevant, or off-topic info.

The likes and other reactions are relatively worthless, especially if you include the "Non-Diving Related Stuff", "The Pub" and "Surface Interval". As per @tursiops who is really going to curate the quality of posts, nobody.

So, I have 15,838 posts and a reaction score of 12,866 since I joined in Sept of 2004, do my posts have value? Most of my posts are actually about scuba diving, a few are with the ruffians, when I can't stand it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom