Lionfish menu at la Perlita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
We had lunch today at la Perlita on Calle 10 Nte between 65 bis and 70. They have an entire menu of lionfish dishes. (The lionfish menu is separate, and they didn't give it to us until we asked, so be aware of that if you're after pez leon).

Lionfish ceviche was superb. I'm not a ceviche eater normally, but my wife and kid are. They'd each ordered a ceviche and I had a taste, then stole a significant amount of theirs. Lionfish cevichificates wonderfully, and la Perlita adds diced mango to the mix. The fish is slightly sweet and in ceviche the texture is quite nice, neither mushy nor rubbery. This was literally the only ceviche I've ever had more than a small, polite taste of before turning to something I actually like.

I ordered lionfish Xcalakoco - filets coated in coconut and fried. I forgot to count how many filets made a plate, but it was *lots* since most of them are so tiny. Prepared this way, the filets have a texture quite similar to grouper. My parents both said that is what they would order next time they are there. I certainly plan to have everything on the lionfish menu as well as any other way they'll serve it to me.

Admittedly, a primary reason for trying the lionfish dishes was to help create a market for their spiky little corpses. That reason is now moot. Lionfish is impressively delicious. I'd probably eat it, if a bit guiltily, if it were an endagered species. Given the problems with eating grouper and snapper, which I also love, I can cheerfully devour as much lionfish as I can find knowing that this is environmentally sound, has not (yet) been reported to have caused any cases of ciguatera toxicity, and is even tastier.

This was our first time at la Perlita. My mom had some excellent grouper, dad had a chile relleno con mariscos, and both were very nice. Decor was fairly nice. It's in a tall palapa vaguely reminiscent of the old la Choza, but much brighter inside. My whole family agreed we'd drop something else off of our usual restaurant rotation in order to eat there again. The vote was unanimous that this is now our overall top seafood place.

There are probably other restaurants serving lionfish on the island, but these guys seem to take it as a mission to serve as many of these delicious creatures as possible. I heartily recommend them.

Jeremy, at Living Underwater, swears by La Perlita. (He lives around the corner and supplies them with lionfish periodically.) He picked up some fresh fish there recently when I had a crowd in for dinner and it was DELISH! I just have never had good luck with what I've ordered there. But it sounds like I need to try again.

I just have never had good luck with what I've ordered there.

We've had the same thing happen - go somewhere that people rave about and totally fail to see what they found to like so much. We've also had meals at our favorite places that had us saying that if it had been like that the first time we probably would never have gone back

This was the only time we've ever been to la Perlita. It may have been an especially good day. However, we had 5 different dishes that were all excellent. That's enough for us to try it again. My mom wants to go back this trip.

Perhaps this has been addressed elsewhere but its late and I am too tired to search so here goes.

I love the idea of trying something new and agree that lion fish on a plate is not only a cool irony but hopefully will drum up a market for the blighters. My question though is: Do we know that there are no long term medical issues with eating something that produces such a poison?

Thanks

Craig

Scratch that - did the research and it would seem from what I have read that people feel it is safe as long as the fish is chilled or cooked as then the toxin is denatured. Although I would still be concerned about "fresh off the boat" cerviche?

Scratch that - did the research and it would seem from what I have read that people feel it is safe as long as the fish is chilled or cooked as then the toxin is denatured. Although I would still be concerned about "fresh off the boat" cerviche?

The venom is all in the external spines which are removed completely - the meat is as safe and clean as any other fish. Enjoy it, no worries.

During our trip a couple of weeks ago we killed a couple of Lionfish that were the size of a small grouper. These things could have been filleted like a large mouth bass. At the time, we simply chopped em and left them for other fish to devour while we searched for more lionfish victims to skewer. Next time, I'll chop the spines off and bag the big ones. Our best day this trip was something like 19 lionfish funerals between the two of us...not nearly as good as last trip in number but several of them were absolute monsters.

This past trip I spent another day with Leo freedive spearfishing. This time I shot a trigger fish. I'm addicted. This July's trip will be freedive spearfishing with occasional breaks for scuba instead of the other way around. If you think jabbing a lionfish is fun, try shooting a baracuda (two trips ago) and then having your resort cook it up for you. Now that's a meal that you smile all the way through. Perhaps in July it will be grouper with a side of lionfish!

I used to think freediving was a bit of a stunt, but there is something about looking up at 60' of water column and knowing the air in your lungs is all there is. As deep as 60' I don't have much time to look around, as I'm still new....but Leo routinely hunts well below that depth and is down there quite some time. Its amazing to watch, even if I'm floating at the surface gasping for air from my last barely a minute long plunge.

I too have to agree with you on how delicious lionfish is. I hope more restaurants will put it on their menus.
Last time I was there, our DM speared two HUGE ones (think small chicken), cut off the spines and bagged them. Then he invited us to come to lunch at a local cantina (El Gato Negro) and they cooked the fish up for us and served it while we drank cold cervezas. Oh my yumness! I am not a big fish/seafood eater and I will admit that I was was a little hesitant, but after the first mouthfull I wanted to scuttle off to the corner with the plate and growl and anyone who got near me. It was so amazing! (Kind of tasted like crappie to me) I highly recommend everyone support the demand for eating these fish. They are truly great tasting and we can feel guilt free about eating the little jerks. I leave Friday for Coz and you can bet that I will have lionfish on my mind (and stomach).... mmmmmmmmm

We tagged a bunch of them last week and had a cook out on Friday with Gabbi Loco. Good stuff! :D

Attachments

• CZM Lionfish1.JPG
    CZM Lionfish1.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 58
  • CZM Lionfish2.jpg
    CZM Lionfish2.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 44
I love lionfish.

if you cook, do it yorself, IMO la perlita overkooks and overcondiments fish (overcooking fish is very common here).

if you get a big one, fillet it, and cook it in butter for about a min each side... YUUUMMMY!!!

Back
Top Bottom