Likes/Dislikes - Aqualung vs. Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you asked me to choose from any regs on the market, neither would be on the list
I could add other regs to my list, but I'm not sure I need to. For manufacturers, things I'm considering:
  • I'd like the option to purchase new, from an LDS if they give me a good price. Otherwise I'll go with a Scubaboard supporter or used.
  • I'd like the option to have it serviced locally or via mail.
  • I'd like something sealed (or sealable), not due to cold but more because keeping gunk out of the workings seems like a good idea to me.
  • I'd like something durable, I do mostly vacation diving and my equipment will sometimes be handled by folks on the boat.
  • I've decided to buy a "premium" regulator because I can, and I enjoy owning a well engineered piece of equipment. I'm picking up diving on the older side so it will potentially be the only regulator I ever buy...
What I'd really like to do is hop into the water with a few regulators and make a more informed decision but that kind of opportunity doesn't present itself very easily.

1. new from LDS should at least match the best price you can find online, if they don't, you're paying sales tax on top of a more expensive up front purchase. not cool to me
2. you can get anything serviced by mail
3. I don't like sealing piston regs, it's a right PITA. I have unsealed Scubapro MK20's on my sidemount regs but they don't see salt water and it's for extenuating circumstances. I actually don't currently dive with any sealed regs except my double hose, but they are Poseidons which are a unique animal. I trust unsealed pistons more than unsealed diaphragms.
4. they're all pretty much going to be comparable durability wise, though the most indestructible second stage I've found is the Poseidon Jetstream or Cyklon. They're all durable enough though for normal abuse. The sump divers are super abusive on their gear and a lot of them use Cyklons, but that is way outside of anything you're likely to ever do.
5. I don't exactly lump Aqualung into the "premium" regulator category, though Atomic certainly sits in that route. Even if you were 18, there is no reason that if you choose the right regulator, it could be the last reg you'll ever buy. Poseidon hasn't changed the Cyklon since 1958, and it's still in production. Commercial/USN divers still use Conshelf second stages that haven't changed much since not a whole lot after the Cyklon came out.

You are unlikely as a new diver to be able to really tell a difference in most of the regulators you are going to look at. The purchasing decision is going to be based on what gives you warm fuzzies and makes sense to you as a buyer.

I could add other regs to my list, but I'm not sure I need to. For manufacturers, things I'm considering:
  • I'd like the option to purchase new, from an LDS if they give me a good price. Otherwise I'll go with a Scubaboard supporter or used.
  • I'd like the option to have it serviced locally or via mail.
  • I'd like something sealed (or sealable), not due to cold but more because keeping gunk out of the workings seems like a good idea to me.
  • I'd like something durable, I do mostly vacation diving and my equipment will sometimes be handled by folks on the boat.
  • I've decided to buy a "premium" regulator because I can, and I enjoy owning a well engineered piece of equipment. I'm picking up diving on the older side so it will potentially be the only regulator I ever buy...
What I'd really like to do is hop into the water with a few regulators and make a more informed decision but that kind of opportunity doesn't present itself very easily.

For Scubapro and Atomic you will have United Divers in Boston, Somerville, and Cape Ann Divers in Gloucester. They are both dealers for SP and Atomic and have good reputation with equipment service. There maybe other dealers for SP & Atomic in the area but these are the two that have been in business for a very long time and I trust them both (United Divers has been in business the longest).

For Scubapro and Atomic you will have United Divers in Boston, Somerville, and Cape Ann Divers in Gloucester. They are both dealers for SP and Atomic and have good reputation with equipment service. There maybe other dealers for SP & Atomic in the area but these are the two that have been in business for a very long time and I trust them both (United Divers has been in business the longest).

that requires braving Slummerville though, they better be offering me a GREAT deal to get me to go there :p

I know ScubaPro could/should be on my list. I've had several bad experiences with poorly maintained ScubaPro rentals, though. That's probably a dumb reason to exclude ScubaPro but I've got to narrow the list down somehow...

I'm from the south shore, but I can brave Slummerville if I have to :wink:.

I know ScubaPro could/should be on my list. I've had several bad experiences with poorly maintained ScubaPro rentals, though. That's probably a dumb reason to exclude ScubaPro but I've got to narrow the list down somehow...

I'm from the south shore, but I can brave Slummerville if I have to :wink:.

As @tbone1004 implied above, the AL regulators aren't in the same category as Atomic or SP at all.

Some years ago I went to a dealer to purchase a Mk25/S600 - I came home with an Atomic B2 instead - just liked it better and the engineering made more sense to me for longer term storage (the seat saver orifice) Also at the time the Scubapro service requirement was annual vs. 2 years for Atomic - I believe theirs is 2 years now also.

I'm pretty sure the new 2nd is an S620 now. And the whole line is sold as EVO models stamdard which is their cold-water upgrade. I read somewhere that to test a Mk25 once they hooked every LP port to a 2nd and had people breathe off it simultaneously with no problem.

Since you're concerned about local service I assume you have both Atomic/Aqualung dealers nearby. All of them have dealer locators on their websites to check. If you have any Scubapro Platinum dealers nearby - they sell the brand exclusively.

Aqualung has pretty tight control on their parts so I don't believe a non-authorized dealer can get them easily - or fix your reg and keep within Aqualung's guiidelines. You also don't want to miss a service/inspection either as that voids the FPFL.

Places I know you can mail away for service - there's obviously others.

Aqualung or Scubapro
Airtech in NC

Atomic
Diveventuires in NE (listed on the Atomic website)
Scubatoys in Dallas
pre-Huise merger you could also send it to the Atomic factory in CA - IDK if they still do that.
At one time the tech who built your reg serviced it also. Cost was considerably higher than my local shop though.

Last edited:
Hmm. Ok, I'll bite. Should I be looking at a Mk17 or Mk25/S600 over the Legend/Legend LX?

Scubapro's product line is getting a bit unwieldy as of late. For a first stage the MK-17, 21, or 25 is good. However, I prefer the MK-25 because of the hose routing.

For the second stages the S-620 is new and uses a different case and air barrel than the S600. The S-600 and S-560 are the same except that the S-600 uses a metal air barrel while the S-560 is plastic. The S-360 is the same as the S-560 but lacks the adjustment. Then there is also the G-260, C-350 and A-700. All are great second stages, I would lean toward the G-260 but that is just me.

I am biased and prefer Scubapro over Aqualung. If you decide on Aqualung, the Core is probably the best value in their line based on price and performance. Rather than look at Aqualung, I would look at their Apeks line instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom