Likes/Dislikes - Aqualung vs. Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try a MK 5, really simple or a mk2. I just did a MK5 locked right up as has every other one I’ve done.
Not so interesting I'm afraid. I've owned two new MK25s and a new Atomic Z2. All three gave me trouble right out of the box. I tried to service a MK10 Plus but had so many creeping issues I eventually gave up on it. In comparison I've owned numerous diaphragm regs and have serviced well over 30 I guess, probably more, and not one of them has ever given me any trouble. A small sample of piston regs I'll admit but enough to put me off them.

Not so interesting I'm afraid. I've owned two new MK25s and a new Atomic Z2. All three gave me trouble right out of the box. I tried to service a MK10 Plus but had so many creeping issues I eventually gave up on it. In comparison I've owned numerous diaphragm regs and have serviced well over 30 I guess, probably more, and not one of them has ever given me any trouble. A small sample of piston regs I'll admit but enough to put me off them.
Please send me all the piston 1st stages that you are unhappy with and I will give them a good home:thumb2:.

This is SO odd and totally unusual. I never had this much of bad luck with piston regulators since I moved to piston regs. in mid 90's. In fact, no issues what soever with Atomics since circa 1998.

if you're going to pay retail LDS pricing for aqualung, consider the apeks xtx50/dst. scubapro mk17/mk25 evo with the g250v/g260 and the zeagle flathead 8 or onyx cw also worth a look. i don't have anything against piston regs, but if you are going to dive really cold water, packing the reg with grease is just messy compared to dry sealing.

the taiwanese apeks clones/spinoffs give better value since the price is significantly lower but the performance is comparable (eg dive rite/hog/deep 6).

used can be the biggest bargains if you find a good deal and don't mind learning how to rebuild them yourself.

@tdallen
the turret on the Atomics will offer better hose routing than the Aqualung, though the Aqualung design is very old and well proven.
If I had to choose between only those two it would be Atomic though if you asked me to choose from any regs on the market, neither would be on the list.

As far as Deep6, there is no requirement for you to DIY service and they will be setting up service plan options once the regs are all out of warranty where you can send them to Georgia to be serviced. It won't take any longer, and depending on your proximity to your LDS, it may be more convenient to do that.

This is SO odd and totally unusual. I never had this much of bad luck with piston regulators since I moved to piston regs. in mid 90's. In fact, no issues what soever with Atomics since circa 1998.

Yes, I would have thought almost a statistical improbability, but there you go. 3 regs, 2 different brands, bad luck I guess but put me off piston regs it did.

almost a statistical improbability

That it is and certainly not something to base judgement of piston regs. on at all :)

Back
Top Bottom