Likes/Dislikes - Aqualung vs. Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Through my diving career I have primarily used Aqua Lung because that was mostly available to me. I currently have Apeks, AL and Atomic in my house and as far a breathing goes, when they are all tuned, I can't tell a difference.

From an aesthetics, design and service tech view, Atomic.

Through my diving career I have primarily used Aqua Lung because that was mostly available to me. I currently have Apeks, AL and Atomic in my house and as far a breathing goes, when they are all tuned, I can't tell a difference.

From an aesthetics, design and service tech view, Atomic.

Service tech view? How so? Cheers.

Hmm. Ok, I'll bite. Should I be looking at a Mk17 or Mk25/S600 over the Legend/Legend LX?

My preference based on using Atomic and SP (I have also used AL, Mares, Cressi) since late 90's for personal and dive school use:

1. ST1
2. M1 (Probably best value since you don't get and pay for the overpriced second stage proprietary swivel)
3. B2 (sealed)
4. SP MK25/S600. (Note: there is also the new s620 you should consider and the top of the line A700).

Personally if I am going to buy new Atomic regulators for myself, they will be M1. I doubt that I'd buy new SP MK25/anything soon since I have about 10 of them now with most of them new in the box :)

Out of curiosity, are any specialized tools required to service Atomic? Cheers.

Not really, spanners are needed for the first stage but not specialized ones. That said there are a few tools that are specialized that make life much easier. Two for the first stage and one for the second stage. All three can be had for just under $100. Scuba Tools - Atomic®

Like most/all manufactures Atomic has specialized tools. What I also like is they try to make tools multi-functional. Meaning instead of having three seperate tools, they combine those three into one.

One kit for the line of first stages, one kit for the line of seconds.
Easy to disassemble and reassemble.

How does this differ from Scubapro? The MK-20/25 family of first stages all use the same service kit. The Balanced Adjustable, G200B, G250, G500, S550, S555, S600, S560, S360 and others all use the same service kit. Also, I don't see this a big advantage because a serious technical diver would standardize their regulators for interchangeability. Excluding the Flight, Apeks uses only one kit for the line of each stage and so does Zeagle. I don't see Atomic being unique here, what am I missing?

Like most/all manufactures Atomic has specialized tools. What I also like is they try to make tools multi-functional. Meaning instead of having three seperate tools, they combine those three into one.

Scubapro is the same, again I do not see where Atomic is unique. Also if you are talking about Scubatools they are a third party vendor that design tools to be multi-functional.

I could add other regs to my list, but I'm not sure I need to. For manufacturers, things I'm considering:
  • I'd like the option to purchase new, from an LDS if they give me a good price. Otherwise I'll go with a Scubaboard supporter or used.
  • I'd like the option to have it serviced locally or via mail.
  • I'd like something sealed (or sealable), not due to cold but more because keeping gunk out of the workings seems like a good idea to me.
  • I'd like something durable, I do mostly vacation diving and my equipment will sometimes be handled by folks on the boat.
  • I've decided to buy a "premium" regulator because I can, and I enjoy owning a well engineered piece of equipment. I'm picking up diving on the older side so it will potentially be the only regulator I ever buy...
What I'd really like to do is hop into the water with a few regulators and make a more informed decision but that kind of opportunity doesn't present itself very easily.
We are a ScubaBoard Business Sponsor.

* We service it thru the mail.

*Go with the Scubapro MK 17.

*Scubapro has been the "Premium Regulator" for decades - Go with the G260 for durability!

* We will rent you a reg. with rental applies towards purchase.

Back
Top Bottom