Liberty Ship/Ft Pickens Dive Report 09-18 and 09-19 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhayes75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well after a long 2 ½ month dry spell, I finally freed myself up to get some diving in. I met up with my LDS at their Pensacola condo. He had an advanced class going out to The Joseph L Meak so I decided to hitch a ride. Once at the condo I decided to do a gear check and it is a good thing I did. My wife apparently packed my booties and mistakenly put one of her booties in my bag. It would have been very uncomfortable to ware two left boots so I rushed over to MBT before they closed. Thanks MBT for holding the door open. The weather was awesome and the seas were flat. Our crew member was in training and it was her first time tying into a wreck. When she rolled off she had lost her mask. After getting her a spare she was down and completed the task. I now had a mission to retrieve that mask since I was the only one not in a class and had the freedom to roam. There was a bundle of some sort of vegetation floating on the surface with some fish under. It made for a great Photo opp. The viz was around 40 to 50 ft with a little less on the bottom. It took me all of about 5 minutes to complete the mission. I was thankful for the bright yellow snorkel. It was good to sharpen up on my search and recovery skills. We had minimum current if any at all. I had a max depth of 90ft lasting 35 min at a minimum temp of 84deg. I started to take a few photos when I noticed some water intruding into my camera housing. I quickly turned off the camera. I drained the water from the camera housing and retired photographing for the day. During the SI one of the other divers said that he had lost his snorkel when he rolled off the boat. Now I had another mission and since photography was out, it gave me something to do. This one would be a little tougher since it would be off the wreck a little bit. I used the anchor line as a reference and took a heading towards the boat. It was not hard to spot the bright yellow snorkel. This dive was to a max depth of 92ft for 39min. We had two very nice dives and two happy divers. We finished off the evening with a meal at the Ore house and watched the LSU game. On day two we headed over to Ft Pickens and I splashed in at 6:45am for a 60min dive. Its great to have a night Owl pass since the gate has a code now. Dive two was 35min, three 38min and dive four for 20 min. I brought the camera down again after carefully examining the housing. Well it still leaked and this time I fried my camera. I now have an Excuse to purchase a new and better camera. I might go with the Sea and Sea Dx2. We also found a brand new AuqaLung Sling shot fin. There were no takers on the surface, so one of our divers said that would be a great gag gift for his twin brother who has only one leg and thought that he would love diving. Not a bad find for that purpose. I introduced them to Scuba board and they have campsites booked for Vortoberfest. Here are the few pictures I was able to take.

Ft_Pickens_09_19_2010002.jpg

JosephLMeakLibertyShip09_18_2010027.jpg

JosephLMeakLibertyShip09_18_2010024.jpg

JosephLMeakLibertyShip09_18_2010023.jpg

JosephLMeakLibertyShip09_18_2010020.jpg

JosephLMeakLibertyShip09_18_2010019.jpg

JosephLMeakLibertyShip09_18_2010013.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report and fun photos, like the moon jelly pic alot

Thanks for the report. Sorry I couldn't break free for the Pickens dive on Sunday.

If you want to make me jealous, get the new Canon S95. Probably around $580 including the housing. Underwater it will do virtually everything the G11 can do (some things it does better) plus it's got HD video (720p)

:wink:

That's the best jelly shot I've seen..

Liked the surface shots of the fish a lot. Looks like there were chubs, triggers, and one tripletail.

Thanks for the report and pics!
I have been wanting to get on Rob's boat for a while but it just hasn't panned out yet. I will have to find out when his next "O" trip will be.

Thanks, I kind of like the Moon jelly shot myself.

Thanks for the report. Sorry I couldn't break free for the Pickens dive on Sunday.

If you want to make me jealous, get the new Canon S95. Probably around $580 including the housing. Underwater it will do virtually everything the G11 can do (some things it does better) plus it's got HD video (720p)

:wink:

Nice, but what do you think of this one

SS9928 - DX-1200HD Camera & Housing - Dive Shop - Seal Sports - Detail

S&S will give you a few extra frames per second in video, but for web use you wouldn't be able to use it (might see a tiny difference if you burned your movies to dvd and watched it on your tv at the house)

Canon will let you shoot photos in RAW, which matters if you do any post processing. It is especially important for adjusting white balance. If you're lazy like me, you won't use it most of the time.

Canon shoots wider and longer (28-105mm compared to S&S's 35-102mm) but it's not a huge difference, and not enough to push one camera over the other imho. Other shooters may disagree with me though...

Canon is "faster" (f2.0 vs. S&S's f2.5) meaning it can shoot in less light and lower ISO's and get photos it takes more light and/or higher iso's (more grain) with the S&S. This is a significant difference to me. I'd pay more for this difference.

Canon will focus closer (5 cm vs. S&S's 10cm) (2" vs. 4") which would also make a difference with me.

I don't see where the S&S allows manual and AV modes, which is important to me, but if you're comfortable shooting auto mode, it won't make a difference.

Do you own and S&S lenses? that would make a difference too. If you want to put close-up lenses or WA on the canon, you'll have to make considerable additional investments, either an ikelite housing, or some strap-on gear for the canon housing. If I already had lenses for the S&S it would make the choice much more difficult.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom