Question Diving with epilepsy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lancerator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey my daughter really wants to lean to dive. She has had a few sezures in her life. Shes 14. Never had one on her meds over 2 years now. Doesnt throw up when she has had one.
Thoughts? Am I nuts for even thinking about it? Also was thinking of full facemask since that seems like a good option.
Thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

What form of epilepsy does your daughter have?

What sort of seizures does she suffer, e.g., tonic clonic seizure, absence seizure, etc?

What does her doctor recommended?

I know it is tempting to seek encouragement among the diving community but this is probably one of those questions better left to truly qualified expert opinions.

Can the moderators ask Duke Dive Medicine to chime in on this thread?

Please and thank you.

This thread is better moved to the diving medicine forum. I am reporting it to be moved.

Sure, why not? @DiveHeart should chime in here. We've taken all sorts of people diving, including paraplegics, quadriplegics, autistic, blind, and more. Jim can elucidate more on the topic.

Hey my daughter really wants to lean to dive. She has had a few sezures in her life. Shes 14. Never had one on her meds over 2 years now. Doesnt throw up when she has had one.
Thoughts? Am I nuts for even thinking about it? Also was thinking of full facemask since that seems like a good option.
We typically advise people with seizure disorders not to dive. A full face mask might provide an added layer of safety for her, but her care and rescue should she have a seizure would be up to those around her, which itself is not without risk.. That said, as @The Chairman mentioned, DiveHeart specializes in adaptive diving and they may have a system in place.

If you're in the greater Salt Lake City area, both LDS Hospital and Intermountain Medical Center have hyperbaric units with physicians who can perform fitness-to-dive examinations. If you'd like an in-person consult, I'm sure one of them could accommodate your daughter.

Best regards,
DDM

One of my dive buddies has epilepsy and has it managed with medication. He has an agreed upon set of parameters for his diving with his physician based on his case. As he is a very cautious individual, I don't give it a second thought to go diving with him.

That said, as @The Chairman mentioned, DiveHeart specializes in adaptive diving and they may have a system in place.
I don't remember us having anyone with epilepsy, which is why I put a shout out to @DiveHeart's head honcho, Jim. Great friend and mentor, and he'll give you the skinny on if they can accommodate you or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom