Question Diving with epilepsy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't remember us having anyone with epilepsy, which is why I put a shout out to @DiveHeart's head honcho, Jim. Great friend and mentor, and he'll give you the skinny on if they can accommodate you or not.
Jim is awesome!

Wow everyone thank you for your insight.
I cant remember what type of seizures she has. She just had her check with her brain scan and all came back clear. I have an appt with doctor next Tuesday. Also my buddies dive shop also specializes in special type needs diving certification. So Im trying to do my due diligence.

We typically advise people with seizure disorders not to dive. A full face mask might provide an added layer of safety for her, but her care and rescue should she have a seizure would be up to those around her, which itself is not without risk.. That said, as @The Chairman mentioned, DiveHeart specializes in adaptive diving and they may have a system in place.

If you're in the greater Salt Lake City area, both LDS Hospital and Intermountain Medical Center have hyperbaric units with physicians who can perform fitness-to-dive examinations. If you'd like an in-person consult, I'm sure one of them could accommodate your daughter.

Best regards,
DDM
Thank you I will check this out.

I’d look into Classified Diving thru SSI or a similar program. Pretty sure it’s possible, but also pretty sure a dedicated certified dive buddy is going to be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom