Let's Talk "Man Overboard"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, look at this way...you already are wearing the hat.
On a dive boat, probly wearing a duckbill cap with bandana tucked in to drape over my ears and neck. I have be told I do look dumb that way, and my response was: "So?"
thanks for the videos, guess he really wanted that fish
Aren't they supposed to wear a harness connected to the boat?
...and then there are those people with bad marriages that disapear on cruises.......I want to see the simulator course for that.
:lol:​

On a dive boat, probly wearing a duckbill cap with bandana tucked in to drape over my ears and neck. I have be told I do look dumb that way, and my response was: "So?"

Honestly, if you're wearing that hat, I don't think anyone is even going to notice the strobe. :D

Short answer: Don't fall overboard at night. Encourage / urge the buddy system for passengers and crew on deck at night.

...at night, without a lighted float and GPS to help you, you will be very lucky to find the victim if you lose visual contact with them. And on a very dark night you will lose visual contact within moments.

I agree with LeadTurn_SD: First answer is don't fall overboard, especially at night - your odds of survival aren't good. Corollary #1: If you're a guy, relieve yourself in the head, not over the side (an astonishingly high percentage of men found drowned after falling overboard had their fly open). Corollary #2: Carry one of these - they're easier to spot than fixed lights or cyalumes, and they serve as flashlights also.

Second answer is that proximity is key, so stop the boat immediately, unless it takes a very long time to do that. A crash stop in any boat under about 100' is going to keep you closer than a Williamson turn; blow a horn, make sure the MOB isn't in the screws, and and park it right NOW. If on a sailboat, regardless of what point of sail you're on, turn into the wind without touching the sheets (destroying sails is preferable to losing contact with the MOB), then take sails down, start the engine, and return to the MOB point. Once stopped, do what you need to to return to the MOB site without running the MOB down.

At least one person points and keeps pointing until the MOB is back aboard - move others out of the way as necessary to make this possible. Second person throws a fender or lifering immediately, and prepares another with a line attached ASAP. Extra throwing lines, preferably with fenders or rings, are often useful in case the first one misses (a drybag that has only light clothes or nothing but air sealed up in it can also serve the same function as a fender). Helmsman (navigator) hits MOB on the GPS (if available), and navigates back to that point to begin a search.

Keep the chatter down as much as possible - the helmsman and the lookout/pointer need to be able to communicate clearly and efficiently. Anything that doesn't contribute directly to that communication is putting the life of the MOB at increased risk.

If you're a guy, relieve yourself in the head, not over the side (an astonishingly high percentage of men found drowned after falling overboard had their fly open).

I have heard that. Good post, thanks.

Keep the chatter down as much as possible

yea and out of line of site

You captain people make it sound easy. When I took my sailing course- I had to do a man overboard for my 'husband' who was actually waiting for me back on the dock. They threw a bleach bottle over with his face on it- One time I ran him over dead center and another I missed him by a city block- it's not that easy to do - needless to say they told him I was plotting for his insurance and to keep an eye on me when we got back to shore- I've never lived it down.

Laura Gainey, dauther of Bob Gainey coach of the Montreal Canadien hockey team, was lost at sea after she fell overboard on December 6, 2006.

She was on a large sail ship in the Atlantic and was swept by a big wave.

Talking about a subject in theory is one thing but it's different when you put a name, a face on this kind of tragedy.

May she rest in peace.

Laura Gainey

Look at some comments, there was an enquiry, procedures as described in this thread were not followed. Food for tought.

To reinforce the point a few people have made - finding the top half of someone's head floating in the water at night is no easy feat. Made much easier if they have a strobe, but how often does it turn out that way?

That's why it's essential to not only mark the position in the GPS, but to put over a floating, lit, object, such as a life ring to mark datum (the most probable location of a search object corrected for movement over time - a life ring will be affected by the wind mroe and the current less than a person in the water, but it's better than nothing - and it's lit, which is huge bonus points). Now you have an actual object to reference if you can't immediately find the person and have to get into initial action search patterns (that post would run a bit long, but I'd be glad to go there....)

As far as when to call for help? As soon as think you may or might need it. A person in the water that shouldn't be is reasonably assumed to be in distress. Distress is bad. Find them shortly after calling the Coast Guard, all's well, they're out of the water, and the duty boat crew goes back to their dinner (cold by now, but they're used to it. Happens.) The boat that's responding can always turn around, but can never, EVER, make up lost time if you hesitate to call.

I practice with a boat hook picking up a ball or fender sometimes. I am not that good, but improving. Two props should make it easier, but sometimes if I am pressured I just choke.

Thats why I am at the ball phase still. BUT, I can pick a diver up in the daylight because I insist SMB and I am very prop conscious due to the water ski days and all the horror stories.

I put them in the lee and go to nuetral very early. I also ask them to approach the boat from the side so they don't get a swell-stern head bang.

I think this on a zipper might be more useful than a lot of other things

DSC_0151.jpg

At what point to you call the USCG and is this a regulation? I just watched The Guardian, so I like them more now.

This is a late responce to your question, but here goes: If you do not have visual contact with the victim, that is when I'd call. Get on Channel 16 immediately.

Is calling the Coast Guard in a man overboard situation a regulation? Not that I'm aware of, but it's approaching 30 years since I sat for my license, and I've long since moved on to a land-based career.

Most reasonable people would call if they could not locate the victim quickly, and if you are a commercial operator and did not do everything possible to recover the victim (including calling the USCG) I'd guess the victim's relatives would have a field day with you in court.

You captain people make it sound easy. When I took my sailing course- I had to do a man overboard for my 'husband' who was actually waiting for me back on the dock. They threw a bleach bottle over with his face on it- One time I ran him over dead center and another I missed him by a city block- it's not that easy to do - needless to say they told him I was plotting for his insurance and to keep an eye on me when we got back to shore- I've never lived it down.

We've been talking about power boats mostly, man overboard while under sail.... the difficulty just went up ten fold. Takes a really good, experienced skipper to handle that situation, so do not feel bad in the least!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom