Lessons I have taken from Recent Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, what's the magic number? Who knows! If your out of shape and just getting by, you are not only putting yourself at risk, but those that would try to save you.

For me--When I do anything.....eat, drink, and exercise (spend money) my first thought is "How is this going to affect my diving?"

onfloat:
If your out of shape and just getting by, you are not only putting yourself at risk, but those that would try to save you.

Well put, I have a decent head on my shoulders and when doing anything potentially this dangerous I am pretty rational and can handle myself pretty well. Somethings you can't plan for so experience will be your teacher but you should prepare as much as possible. I don't think I would attempt something like this If I didn't feel comfortable doing it, this is why I wanted to try and get certifed before going to mexico so it is not a learning experience in the ocean with a large group of people. I have a opted for a personal instructor due to time constraints and also so it's just me and him for our classes so we can spend more time getting MY technique and skills honed as opposed to me and 5-10 others.

Thanks for the advice.
AIC007

Diver Dennis:
Regular check-ups and even doing a lot of walking can help keep you fit enough to dive.
I agree it will make you fit enough to dive; but I think underlying health issues rarely arise in typical check-ups with the doc.

Diving has however made me strive for better personal health, as more of a goal, then just something I should do. My personal fitness goal is to be able dive Old Marineland in Palos Verdes, CA, without killing myself walking back up the hill after the dive :D, and not minding loooong surface swims and currents in my jets.

Otherwise I like to read about incidents; helps me to be more aware, sometimes I wonder if all the negative makes me a little too paranoid though; I want to have FUN not be sketched out. Ya know?

Garrett

aic007:
Just out of curiosity, what set of standards would you set up for ones physical fitness?
None.
I set standards for me, you set standards for you.
As for advising you on what standards you should set beyond some very basic things like good lung and middle ear function and clear sinuses & no proclivity to seizures, the rest is highly dive style dependent. The "shape" required for diving the reef in front of Captain Don's in Bonaire is vastly different than what's prudent for diving the Cooper river in March or swimming your way 2000' back into Jackson Blue.
Use common sense and dive within your comfort zone. If you want to dive a dive you're not in shape for, get in shape before attempting it. If you find yourself in over your head, abort before it gets dicey.
You know... think... look before you leap... that kind of stuff :)
Rick

Complacency kills and while Murphy is no buddy, he's with us on every dive.

Ensure that I have and maintain the right tools for the job.

KISS - I try not to become a walking dive shop. Why exactly am I carrying this particular piece of gear.

Fitness, cardio seems to me to be the most important item. If your circulation system is not working as well as is possible I believe that you are upping the risks of DCS. Just my belief based on thinking about how gas gets transferred out of the body - YMMV.

catherine96821:
hey, I have been wanting to use that crotch ring for something and never have...since I don't have a scooter. see, these are the pointers I need for my night dive with the Borg.

:lol:

The one thing I took away from the recent events is to descent & ascent maintaining continual contact. None of this 'the vis is really bad so we meet at the bottom' kind of descent.

Sounds basic but is often tough in really low vis (i.e. 2 feet)

catherine96821:
or the Marine Corp has their own little program....

Catherine: Yes, the USMC program is: 3 miles in 18 minutes, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, 20 dead hang pull ups = max score. The mins are 3 miles in 28 minutes, 44 crunches in 2 minutes, and 4 dead hang pull ups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom