Lessons I have taken from Recent Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
co2 retention is mostly cause by dead space and skip breathing, shallow breaths, right?

what else?
Dead space, skip breathing, shallow breathing are all related to the elimination of CO2. How much CO2 needs to be eliminated obviously is also important.

Heavy exertion creates more CO2. A common hypothesis is that the higher CO2 loads caused by higher exertion is what makes narcosis more likely when someone works hard at depth -- such as fighting a current on a wreck to get back to an ascent line.

Heavy exertion also makes cardiovascular problems more likely.

Nitrox is sometimes called "Geezer Gas". Maybe we should start calling drift diving "Geezer Diving". :)

Thanks for that. I never really got that... It makes since that at times when I have had to work hard (but things were still under control), I would get a very bad "impending doom" sensation.

miketsp:
My comment about NOT using a Jon line was specific to NIGHT dives where stops should normally be avoided.
I regularly use a Jon line to do stops during the day when there is a lot a lot of current and/or surge.
How do you carry the jon line? I have a standard BC, not wings. Trying to get more streamlined. The line is from Dive Rite and coils up into its own pouch. Looks like a PITA to get back into the pouch when you're through using it. Any thoughts?

jeffg says you can just use your reel of cave line if you have an extra bolt snap...that is what I will do because getting behind the back plate is just for stuff I hardly ever use, emergency stuff...pup tent, floating grill, freeze dried steaks..

I get you now mikestp, I thought you were saying never use it. Sometimes the line in heavy current can get really crowded, so can't wait to try it.

Jcsgt:
How do you carry the jon line? I have a standard BC, not wings. Trying to get more streamlined. The line is from Dive Rite and coils up into its own pouch. Looks like a PITA to get back into the pouch when you're through using it. Any thoughts?

In my case I use a piece of 5/16 bungee about 2m (6ft) long. I tie a loop at each end just large enough to slip my hand in or out without too much effort and I store this in the cummerbund pocket on my BC coiled flat together with a metal camping mirror and a plastic dive table.
The line doubles as a buddy line if vis is suddenly much worse than expected or to keep the divers together if drifting at the surface while waiting for a passing boat.
I've also used it as a tow line, just loop it on the 1st stage of the towed diver and you can both just lie on your backs in the water well streamlined and able to kick without restrictions.
The advantage of using bungee is that when used as a Jon line or buddy line it absorbs any shocks.
One alternative when using it as a Jon line is just to take a turn around the up-line and hold both ends. When you want to release just release one loop and it comes free.

To my post earier:
Yes I have heard of this happening: it is pathetic. In fact, when I was taking my rescue diver course at college the instructor advised us that it may not be a good idea for some to actually opt for the cert card and just acquire the skills. His reasoning is that if you are a non-rescue diver and go for a rescue, you may be less legally liable for helping someone if the rescue goes south; even though you follow procedure near perfectly. Rescue Divers must perform according to the way they were taught (a couple ways I was taught arent exactly the NAUI way but they make more sense, different subject), after a rescue it is likely authorities (coast gaurd, cop, i dunno) will ask waht sort of certs do you carry. The rescue diver may be the guy/girl whos picked on or blamed.
My understanding is that if you do come across a victim (non-buddy) and you do not rescue, then no problem you are not in any trouble b/c you are putting yourself in harms way. Responsibility for the victim begins when you start the rescue and ends when more qualitfied people take over. Can you live with yourself by not saving someone? No. Either way you can get into some trouble for meaning well.

catherine96821:
Dennis...it is not possible here. Fly me to Canada and spring for my drysuit, I have babies to feed.

Bob Sherwood has been flying out to HI to teach fundies fairly frequently.

catherine96821:
I get you now mikestp, I thought you were saying never use it. Sometimes the line in heavy current can get really crowded, so can't wait to try it.

I like to lie on my back and look up at the surface. It can be very relaxing.

miketsp:
In my case I use a piece of 5/16 bungee about 2m (6ft) long. I tie a loop at each end just large enough to slip my hand in or out without too much effort and I store this in the cummerbund pocket on my BC coiled flat together with a metal camping mirror and a plastic dive table.
The line doubles as a buddy line if vis is suddenly much worse than expected or to keep the divers together if drifting at the surface while waiting for a passing boat.
I've also used it as a tow line, just loop it on the 1st stage of the towed diver and you can both just lie on your backs in the water well streamlined and able to kick without restrictions.
The advantage of using bungee is that when used as a Jon line or buddy line it absorbs any shocks.
One alternative when using it as a Jon line is just to take a turn around the up-line and hold both ends. When you want to release just release one loop and it comes free.

I like this idea. I have a bunch of bungee like this in the garage from a old boat cover that would work great. I will try it out on the next time I dive.

Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom