Lessons I have taken from Recent Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
If you have a spool. Use two double ender's. Create a loop on one end with one double ender, loop it around the anchor line. Spool out some line and lock the spool and line with one end of the other double ender, with the other end attached to your crotch D-Ring. Instant Jon-line.

why didn't I think of that?

Of course I have a spool. A stainless steel one. hey, I have been wanting to use that crotch ring for something and never have...since I don't have a scooter. see, these are the pointers I need for my night dive with the Borg.

Just out of curiosity, what set of standards would you set up for ones physical fitness? I am no triathalon and have put on a few pound the past couple of months but was able to satisfy my instructors requirements to continue on with my certification. I know I could be in "better shape" and am working on that but what would you say a person should be able to do as a pre-requisite to diving?

Knowing you limits is one of the most important things people need to understand, beside not holding your breath :wink: If your gut tells you something doesn't feel right generally it isn't, at least with me it is. I know not to take a double black diamond with moguls on a snowboard not cause it is too difficult, it's just not fun, at least for me, but if its flat out I can handle my own.

So what should a standard physical diving exam consist of? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just want the opinion of experienced divers who know what the risks are first hand and the different challenges that can come into play while underwater.

I personally feel that while being trained the instructor should try and re-create some of these experiences, such as pulling your mask off as you swim or pull the regulator out of your mouth to see how you would react to a problem of this nature. Put some rope in the water so you get a little tangled up, hell try some whodini tricks while your at it. I hope that he tried to make it as uncomfortable as possible and put me in situations that can occur in a controlled enviornment like a pool so that I can keep my bearings and deal with it in a calm manner and not try and shoot for the surface while in the ocean. It all works well in theory, but when it happens that is the true test, and without experience and training you can't learn to deal with these situations.

That's a good point onfloat. Regular check-ups and even doing a lot of walking can help keep you fit enough to dive.

or the Marine Corp has their own little program....

catherine96821:
or the Marine Corp has their own little program....
Guaranteed to whip you into shape and best of all, no monthly facility fees! :D

Doctor, whats that? Not much into regular visits though I should start. Last time I was checked out I was ok, no heart or pulminary trouble or anything like that. No family history of anything I can think of. I was diagnosed with Otosclerosis about 5 years ago but spoke to my otolaryngologist the other day and he said that I should be ok to dive since I haven't had a stapedectomy or any other surgery. I have had no trouble equalizing so far but haven't really gotten to any real deapth yet and will know more next week when I get back to my pool and OW sessions.

Regarding the otosclerosis, I have read many conflicting diagnosis' regarding diving. I guess this could be chalked up to the beauty of the internet huh? Some say that after surgery diving is a no go, but some say depending on the type of surgery i.e. Laser or traditional cutting and replacing of the stapes you can dive, laser being the better method if you want to dive afterwards. Since my hearing isn't that bad and I have no desire to have someone cut my ear open I will put off surgery as long as humanly possible, or until they can perfect it so that diving is still an option.

I was wondering more of physical fitness in the actual physical sense. Such as swim certain distances withouht stopping, treading water for lenghts, holding your breath eventhough you shouldn't maybe running a certain distance or lifting, things of that nature. Not just a doctor said ok your check up was great and your ok.

By the way thanks again for all the insight you all provide on this board it's a great resource to have with so much knowledge and different opinions. Dennis your photos are amazing, hope my pics come out half as good when I get the chance to shoot underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom