Lessons I have taken from Recent Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Cave divers tend to be pretty serious, don't they?

NO GOOFING around in caves, even I know that.

I, too, am struck by this over and over. Does this register with most, you think?

I AM pretty serious. I take my diving serious and my fun serious. :D

And I'm not sure I agree with the pre-existing conditions being the main cause.

I've seen several reports where diver injury or death was caused by poor decision making. Failing to follow established protocols or safety procedures, failure to follow training procedures, etc.

I think many of us pick apart accidents, looking for the reason why "that would never be me, because I wouldn't do something that stupid."

But I bet that every single one of us, even the best divers I know, could look back at some point or another to a dive where they did something stupid, where they know they did something stupid, and got away with it.

The problem is, just because you got away with it this time, doesn't mean you will next time.

It's been said before and it's worth saying again: "Comlacency kills."

The single biggest thing that has been reinforced to me is diving with a trusted and competent buddy. Because if I go to do something stupid, s/he will step in and say "***? You know better than that!" Because if there is a gear malfunction, I know that person will be there, be attentive and help me resolve the problem.

So...you are not a solo afecionado, I take it?

Who is your buddy? Are they more trained or less trained?

catherine96821:
I, too, am struck by this over and over. Does this register with most, you think?

I don't think it does Catherine. There was a thread today about being nervous that experienced divers have died. I do think training can be improved but you have to be in decent shape to dive. I don't think there is anything extraordinary going on with the statistics.

catherine96821:
So...you are not a solo afecionado, I take it?

Who is your buddy? Are they more trained or less trained?

No. Solo is not for me, but I won't preach if someone else wants to.

I have 4 buddies that I dive with on a regular basis.

Training is similar, PM sent with specifics.

it could be that the newer younger divers make lethal mistakes and the older divers just have critical parts fail.

onfloat:
Usually when you do something stupid, it drives the stress level through the roof, if you have a pre-existing condition you may have sealed your fate.
Thats my belief as well. What % does that accounts for....who knows.

catherine96821:
AND the discussions surrounding them.....

1) Often, on my last stop, I have held an ascent line in rough seas and rocked up and down by just a few feet, and not thought much about it. Now, I realize it cannot be optimal for my offgassing physics. I learned what a Jon line is and plan to put a bolt snap on my buddy leash and stash behind my backplate. JB can whip it out if we need it on stops in rough seas.
If you have a spool. Use two double ender's. Create a loop on one end with one double ender, loop it around the anchor line. Spool out some line and lock the spool and line with one end of the other double ender, with the other end attached to your crotch D-Ring. Instant Jon-line.

Being in poor physical condition appears to contribute to diving accidents. Isn't that a biggie? Not knowing one's limitations (physical/mental/educational) is another. When I peruse through accounts of dive-related accidents, I am encouraged to get into and maintain better shape, dive more often as and to learn all I can about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom