Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you had a bit of bad luck. My experience with LP has been top-notch. And you did get your money back, so that is no knock on LP. Just bad luck.

LP has always treated me tip top. Online, call in, no matter what. I’ve even had order delays and what not. Even returns without issue.
Curious as to why yours went askew. I’ve called and ordered or asked questions so often I recognize the people who answer.

I've always had good luck with LP, they certainly do take their Jewish holidays seriously though. :)

I've always had good luck with LP, they certainly do take their Jewish holidays seriously though. :)

That is easily the biggest understatement of the SB decade! :D

I doubt whether anyone here actually realizes just how much discussion and arcane Jewish law was used to try and establish their laws for e-commerce on a Jewish Holiday or Sabbath. Incredibly intricate and complex to try to reconcile their laws with the Internet. They tried many different versions before evntually deciding to completely shut down on those days.

I've done a lot of business with LeisurePro and have never had a problem. I wonder what happened because this is not typical of my experience.

Sometimes things just fall through the cracks for whatever reason: someone having a bad day, miscommunication, etc.

Email is not the best method of communication. I’ve found that people are so nice and helpful live or over the phone but over email they’re like a rock. Some people have poor writing style and tone is hard to tell.

That’s why...if you’re emailing and emailing and getting poor service, why not try picking up the phone?

How many times have I emailed back and forth and been frustrated to no end. I’m not getting an answer I can understand. I pick up the phone and a 2 minute conversation cleared up 10 back and forth emails.

Like many other responders, I've never had a problem with them. I've ordered quite a bit over the last 10 years, returned or exchanged some of it due to size issues and never once had a problem. The customer services reps can be a little blunt sometimes - but I'd never call them rude. Plus it's NYC - anyone expecting southern hospitality is gonna be sorely disappointed.

Hi this is Bruce from SEASOFT SCUBA. I have been in Leisurepro's warehouse and I am very familiar with their business and their commitment to customers. Let me give you a different perspective.

LP warehouse is bigger than a football field and has multiple tiers of shelving. You cannot begin to conceive how many different products and colors of products and sizes they carry. It is in the 100's of thousands. All in an attempt to give divers a single place to do their shopping. In doing this it creates a logistical challenge unlike anything you might imagine.

Everyday semi-loads of UPS, FEDEX and USPS trucks leave with boxed up international and domestic orders and everyday roughly the same amount of gear has to find its way back into inventory. So from one manufacturer, just one, they might receive 12 pallets of fins in 5 colors and 4 sizes, 3 pallets of masks in 7 styles and a total of 8 colors, 4 pallets of snorkels in 3 styles in 6 colors, 2 pallet of gloves in 3 styles and 7 sizes and 5 pallets of booties in 3 styles and 8 sizes, 12 pallets of BCs in 4 styles in 5 sizes and 4 colors etc.

Consider that it might not be uncommon for some companies to accidentally sent the wrong size and color in two of the BCs and these will have to be inventoried, repackaged and returned after multiple calls, emails etc. to the manufacturer and then replaced with the correct product. In the meantime, orders for the missing BCs will be backordered or cancelled. The manufacturer also informed them that the vendor who makes their fins had a problem with the L size mold for their most popular fin and so they are 60 days behind in shipments. They had blue ones in inventory already so they have shipped those but black, yellow, and pink are backordered for at least 60 days.

Memos are sent out daily to all of the customer service reps for most of this stuff but there is no practical way for them to keep track of all of the issues there are on hundreds of items out of hundreds of thousands of products. Usually there is less than 1% of products effected by issues but if it is YOURS it is 100% isn't it?

Be patient, these people are working so freaking hard. I know, I have watched them, the pressure and expectations are enormous!

I thought you should know.

Bruce
SEASOFT SCUBA

Since I now sell the majority of items I usually need, I don't buy from Leisure Pro now. I do send many people there for dive computers however since I don't sell them and they give great service. Before I became a retailer I was with a shop that I actually gave a great deal of free labor to in exchange for what I thought were good prices on gear. Then I started to see the invoices when he asked me to start marking prices on the merchandise.
A customer came in one day and told me about Leisure Pro. And Scubaboard.
That was the beginning of the end of my relationship with that shop. It is also why I treat customers today the way I do.
While I no longer buy from LP I spend a serious amount of money with Adorama and B&H Photo. I've been buying from them since the early 1980's and have had nothing but exceptional customer service from them.
As others have said, they can be abrupt and they don't take a lot of time chit chatting but they do know their stuff and if you know what you want they don't try hard to upsell.
Having spent a lot of time around Orthodox Jewish business people, running a department in an Orthodox Jewish grocery, and being married the first time to a Jewish woman I know they are not being rude.
They are just doing business and I like the no-nonsense approach they have.
They do make recommendations for additional items based on common sense and understand that you may be on a budget.
I'm buying a used $1400 lens so I only want to pay 900 for it. So they recommend a $75 UV filter instead of the $200 one.
I like that. They don't try to insult me by recommending a $30 junk one.
The amount of business they do is staggering. 2019 will be the first time in 4 years that I'm not making a pilgrimage to both places during Beneath the Sea. That's because I'm not going next year. I'm using those vacation days instead to go and dive Brockville with my instructor trainer Steve Lewis in July.
Would not hesitate to buy from LP, Adorama, or B&H. I'm not 100% sure about LP and Adorama, but I know for a fact that the employees at B&H don't work on commission. I'd be surprised if LP and Adorama aren't the same.

Back
Top Bottom