Leisure Pro bait and switch still happening - warning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Leisure pro has been advertising the Tusa DC 700 Hunter on their website for almost 2 years, without having it available. I know several people that wanted this specific computer (or other seiko equivelant such as Nitek Duo, Zeagle N2ition, Cressi arch, Apeks Quantum, etc) and ordered it at the great advertised price - then got a replacement.

I have sent questions to leisure pro no less than 5 times asking them to remove it, or update me if the real thing became available.

Well - when I saw that Leisure pro listed the computer on ebay and listed 5 available - maybe I was going to get lucky. ESPECIALLY since their ebay listing CLEARLY states:

"Item availability
We will only post items that are in stock, ready to ship."

WELL - I sent them a question and guess what - it is still the REPLACEMENT computer being advertised as the Tusa DC 700.

Tusa DC Hunter Wrist Dive Computer (IQ-700) | eBay

For the first few months I attributed it to a mistake - but after 2 years still on their website and a specific ebay advertisement - it is the classic Bait and Switch.

Horrible ethics to do this on purpose.

Shame on you LP.............

Glad I bought my 2 Zeagle N2itions from the LDS - but I would have jumped at this price to get one for my wife.

Can you report it to Ebay mods.? Ebay usually makes the person selling a item live up to their add.

This is the first time this has been brought to my attention and I've forwarded all of this to my manager. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

I, too, have seen this and quite frankly I've put LeisurePro on my do not buy from list because of it and the 8 year old wetsuit they sold me that started falling apart after 25 dives. Fortunately, the manufacturer replaced it with a current model that has been very nice. Nick... I'd like to think your replies are honest, but I do question the business practices I've experienced through LeisurePro. When I bought my wetsuit from there a few years ago, I had wanted an AquaLung. All of a sudden it was no longer available and I had to go with my second choice... which turned out to be the 8 year old product the manufacturer had stopped making years before.

Last edited:
Okay, after talking to the right people, here's what I found out:

"We have 2 of the IQ-700 in stock, however it's not in "brand new" condition, but somehow our computer has been taking it out from the "USED" file and putting it in the "new" file, so every time when the warehouse gets an order for it, the picker sees that it's in USED condition, it gets "upgraded" to next version up for the same lower price. Bait and switch means you advertise an item and then switch the customer to more "expensive" item for higher charge, upgrading a customer to a more expensive item "free of charge" is not bait and switch.

Regardless we have prioritized this bug, and our IT guys are getting it fixed as we speak."

The ebay listing has been pulled as well.

Please, if anyone runs into any issues like this again, don't hesitate to contact me directly at nickb@leisurepro.com and I can investigate further. Between a physical store, the main web site, phone/email sales, ebay and Amazon, there are a lot of systems in place and just like any computer system, there can be bugs that need to get worked out.

Thank you for the information so I could get the right people to investigate.

Hum...well, I've been looking at Leisure Pro's website today looking around at computers. I saw this exact computer for sale and decided to come here and do a search for it to see if anyone had reviews on it. That's how I found this thread. I'm very skeptical now...

I guess you're saying the comptuer on Leisure Pro is NOT the one that would be mailed to me if I purchased it?

Leisure pro has been advertising the Tusa DC 700 Hunter on their website for almost 2 years, without having it available. I know several people that wanted this specific computer (or other seiko equivelant such as Nitek Duo, Zeagle N2ition, Cressi arch, Apeks Quantum, etc) and ordered it at the great advertised price - then got a replacement.

I'll support this. I tried to order an IQ-700 2-3 times in 2010 and it showed "in stock" and I always got an email saying they were out of stock and offered another computer.

However, I personally didn't see this as a ripoff etc as the computer they offered was at a greatly reduced price over what I could buy it at via MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). I got the computer I wanted and saved about $125-$150 bucks over "advertised price".

so I didn't have an issue with it. To me it was a good deal and just "creative marketing" on the part of Leisure Pro.

This is the first time this has been brought to my attention and I've forwarded all of this to my manager. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

While I'm defending LP above in how I got a good deal on the computer....

you seem to have forgotten this post and your reply where I called this out on July 25th in response to another post.

After you replied that you would like to spend some time learning how the inventory system worked, I replied via PM with an account of what happened on how I got that computer to help you know, since you live on the west coast. I got no reply, but wasn't worried about it at the time either.... oh well....

from thread. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/se...es-anyone-who-can-assistance.html#post5984146

Here is a cut/paste of that thread post series....

If it gets close to crunch time for your trip, if you're still interested in the camera, our web site shows that we have them in stock: Sealife SL330 Mini II Digital Underwater Camera

Maybe we're the reason why your store can't get them :confused:

usually I'm not negative about Leisure Pro (I support them and have defended them several times here.), but since you brought it up as "your website showing them in stock",....

LP often shows stuff in stock when it's not in stock.

I tried SEVERAL times to order a product over 3-4 months from LP. It showed in stock and when I placed the order, got a nice polite email from LP saying it wasn't in stock and offered another similar product (at a killer deal none the less).

I know other people that have had the same thing happen to them....

Not that this is a bad thing, as the consumer usually gets a good deal on other item, but just that because your website says it has them "in stock" really doesn't mean it does.... as this has been proven in the past.

Perhaps some day I'll get to spend some time in the warehouse so I'll have a better idea of how exactly the inventory system works :) I guess as long as it's a quick notice of not being in stock and a decent replacement offer, that's not too bad.

Thanks for the heads up, for some reason my PM notifications were going into my spam box and the black on blue on blue for the notifications doesn't stand out to me! Looks like I have some messages to reply to :)

Hum...well, I've been looking at Leisure Pro's website today looking around at computers. I saw this exact computer for sale and decided to come here and do a search for it to see if anyone had reviews on it. That's how I found this thread. I'm very skeptical now...

I guess you're saying the comptuer on Leisure Pro is NOT the one that would be mailed to me if I purchased it?

The computer you order should be the one you receive. It appears as though this model (and perhaps a few other random items here and there) have been impacted by a bug in the system that is being fixed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom