Leisure Pro bait and switch still happening - warning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed that the IQ-700 was pulled from Amazon yesterday and from E-Bay as well.

I really don't see this as being a big deal that they advertise something and then offer a better product at a BETTER price. Why? Because in the end the customer gets a better deal 99% of the time.

I mean this is not a new "marketing" idea. It's been done in all other product areas.

I also don't think this was a "bug" on their website. I call BS on this. They've known about it for years and kept doing it, sent email offers of "substitute" of a great deal.

I ordered this computer twice (maybe 3 times) last year after my LDS couldn't get it in stock. Once in January and once in April. Each time I got a very polite email from LP saying they were out of them (even though their website said "IN STOCK"). They offered a newer product at the same price.

Now.... Let be be PERFECTLY CLEAR. At NO TIME did I feel like I was being swindled or scammed by LP. They simply didn't have what they advertised and didn't want to loose the sale and offered a substitute product. I'm sure if I called ScubaToys on the phone and asked for something they had out of stock, they'd offer me something else instead trying to get the sale. Any good shop would.

Anyway, here's where I ordered the TUSA-IQ700 in April 2010 and got this email for alternative purchase. I got a similar email in January 2010 when I tried to buy it then also. So this has been going on for some time and is NOT A WEBSITE BUG. just saying...

I mean, don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining..... It wasn't no "freaking website bug".

For the record, I ended up HAPPILY buying a computer from them, but it wasn't the one they offered below. I felt like I was treated very fairly, professionally by the below, and was given a great deal.

leisure-pro-order-april-2010.jpg

Hey Mike......your credit card # and expiry are missing there.....maybe you could post the original :wink:

I really don't see this as being a big deal that they advertise something and then offer a better product at a BETTER price. Why? Because in the end the customer gets a better deal 99% of the time.

I mean this is not a new "marketing" idea. It's been done in all other product areas.

I also don't think this was a "bug" on their website. I call BS on this. They've known about it for years and kept doing it, sent email offers of "substitute" of a great deal.

I ordered this computer twice (maybe 3 times) last year after my LDS couldn't get it in stock. Once in January and once in April. Each time I got a very polite email from LP saying they were out of them (even though their website said "IN STOCK"). They offered a newer product at the same price.

Now.... Let be be PERFECTLY CLEAR. At NO TIME did I feel like I was being swindled or scammed by LP. They simply didn't have what they advertised and didn't want to loose the sale and offered a substitute product. I'm sure if I called ScubaToys on the phone and asked for something they had out of stock, they'd offer me something else instead trying to get the sale. Any good shop would.

Anyway, here's where I ordered the TUSA-IQ700 in April 2010 and got this email for alternative purchase. I got a similar email in January 2010 when I tried to buy it then also. So this has been going on for some time and is NOT A WEBSITE BUG. just saying...

I mean, don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining..... It wasn't no "freaking website bug".

For the record, I ended up HAPPILY buying a computer from them, but it wasn't the one they offered below. I felt like I was treated very fairly, professionally by the below, and was given a great deal.

leisure-pro-order-april-2010.jpg

Its easy - its NOT a better product at a better price. Its a DIFFERENT product. If I order something, I want specifically what I ordered, not a replacement. The Hunter 700 is a very well known and established product sold as a clone by several different brands and has had a loyal following FOR YEARS. The replacement that they were shipping is FAR inferior, not market accepted - and just DIFFERENT. Just because their advertised price was higher for the replacement, does not make it a bettter product

The INTENT was clear.

I am glad LP pulled the ads - but BAIT and SWITCH - DOES NOT have to be a higher priced product. Advertising one thing, with the advanced knowledge that you will be substituting it with something else - particularly when the first is a better known, more established IS IN FACT bait and switch. To try to claim anything different is deceptive.

Thank you for pulling the ad LP.

Its easy - its NOT a better product at a better price. Its a DIFFERENT product. If I order something, I want specifically what I ordered, not a replacement. The Hunter 700 is a very well known and established product sold as a clone by several different brands and has had a loyal following FOR YEARS. The replacement that they were shipping is FAR inferior, not market accepted - and just DIFFERENT. Just because their advertised price was higher for the replacement, does not make it a bettter product

If you read my above comment, you'll see I bought a DIFFERENT computer than what they offered. why? because you're right, the IQ-750 is (in my opinion also) inferior in features/specs.

However, for what I bought and the discount I got, I was more than happy. So for me, I got a better product at a better price. (different computer than mentioned). So therefore "I" was happy.

However, I can see some "buyer beware" involved. Others got this same offer of the IQ-750 and if they didn't know better, they could have been buying a "lesser product".

re-reading the first post though, doing this via EBAY that you pointed out (and not just their website) when you say you've got the product and someone bid's on it only to find out what they won wasn't what they were bidding on, and getting sold something else like the IQ-700, I can see where this would EASILY frustrate someone. It definitely is a case of "bait and switch".

I'm really disappointed to hear this. I've purchased from LP many times and never had a bad experience. Am I the exception that proves the rule?

I've bought from them 4 or 5 times and never had a bad experience but that does not mean they are not practicing illegal or just plain wrong business practices. They want money like any other business and that will eventually lead to shifty dealing with some people.

I tend to expect a business to live up to its end of the deal and if that means selling me the computer that I researched and decided on that they said was in stock, then that is exactly and only what I expect. Anything more or less is unacceptable. If a company tells me after a transaction that their inventory was wrong, I cancel my order and buy someplace else, end of story. Only once have I had a company act slowly in crediting my money back.

Mike got sold what he deemed to be a better computer at a great deal. That is great but we do not know that LP has been that upstanding on every transaction. If they are willing to post false information on their website in order to attract people only to switch gears last second, then what else are they willing to do? How far down that slope will they go? Only they know and of course they will tell us they would never do anything bad.

I for one will continue shopping with them but I will stick by my position that they must do what they promised or they lose the sale. That works for me and may not for someone else. I will not try to persuade some to buy from them or to not buy from them. I for one like LP and believe they get an undeserved bad rap most of the time.

I bought many items from them without problems. My only complaint is their shipping costs tend to run high and they don't offer free shipping on orders over $50 as Scubatoys does.

Adam

I've bought from them in the past and been ok. Like others have said the shipping rate is nuts.

But, you DO have to pay attention. Awhile back when the Hollis DG03 was in the final stages and days away from release, LP had it for SALE. I looked at the specs on LP webpage and was blown away lol. So much so that I called LP to confirm. They could not. So I called Hollis who said those were NOT the specs and that the DG03 was not even done yet.

Long story short, they had been in such a hurry to list it that they (LP) used the VT4 spec sheet for the DG03. And NO they did NOT offer me the VT4 for that price when they realized they were wrong :)

Just saying

"their shipping costs tend to run high and they don't offer free shipping on orders over $50 ".

Adam
So, their prices are low, but charge more for shipping ?? Sounds like "a wash" to me. You end up paying the about the same, as anywhere else. Kinda like "the coffee is free, the cups are $2". The key for me is "after the sale" or being an actual "Authorized Dealer or Re-Seller", in the event of a warranty or repair situation. While I'm not implying anything bad or negative about LeisurePro, (as I have purchased from what I believe is their sister company, Adorama with no issues), I find it interesting that Aqualung has an entire web page dedicated to the fact that LeisurePro is absolutely NOT an Authorised Dealer or Re-Seller of their products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom