Leg strength and bad knees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I do a lot of diving where there are significant climbs out of the water, and I do a fair bit of it in doubles. Leg strength is really important for me. To improve it, I have done both various types of squatting maneuvers (a favorite being putting an exercise ball against a wall, leaning on it, and gradually rolling the ball up and down the wall). But I've had a tibial plateau fracture on the left with major cartilage damage, and I have some osteo in my right knee, and they're finally getting to the point where they aren't tolerating squats or the leg push machine at the gym.

Any ideas on low-knee-stress leg strengthening exercise that will specifically help with climbing slopes or stairs under load?

Does your gym have stair climber machines? You could try gradually increasing the resistance or wear a weighted backpack. An elliptical machine might work as well. Just a thought, I'm no expert, but I have bad knees as well - two surgeries on one for ACL recon and meniscal repair.

I get knee pain if I do squats. Maybe you're causing the pain? Or maybe it's more aerobic where just walking up hills, or like SelkieDVM said, a stairmaster will do more good?
I can walk hills (we have jungle trails going to waterfalls) and my problem is running out of breath, not leg strength.

Any ideas on low-knee-stress leg strengthening exercise that will specifically help with climbing slopes or stairs under load?

I'm not a doc and you are, but I'm guessing that if you have actual knee damage, that stronger muscles aren't going to fix damaged bones and cartilage.

My suggestion would be to pay a local kid who still has good joints to carry your stuff up the hill. Arrange it before the dive, if necessary.

You could also put a winch on the front of your car/truck and drag your stuff up on a sled.

Part of growing older is learning to notice the stuff that doesn't work well anymore and try to not make it worse.

flots.

I get knee pain if I do squats.

IMO, if this is the case then you're probably in need of some coaching to ensure you aren't squatting wrong. Probably knee not tracking over the foot, but could be a few different defects in your squat causing it.

Think about what's going on up and downstream from your knee when you squat.

I have many problems/surgeries ACL with my left knee for over 30 years. I only bicycle, swim, walk, hike to strengthen the muscles around the joint. I do not carry doubles or large tanks when coastal cliff hiking like you do though. I have more problem hiking down to the water. I do not have problems with the hike up the trail after the dive. Many times I do 2 trips on the way back to the car with mine/buddies' weight belt, then tank.

IMO, if this is the case then you're probably in need of some coaching to ensure you aren't squatting wrong. Probably knee not tracking over the foot, but could be a few different defects in your squat causing it.

Think about what's going on up and downstream from your knee when you squat.

I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. It's my right knee that's painful. My right leg is longer than my left and I'm really crooked when standing up "straight". I almost failed my Army physical because of that when I almost joined in 73.

... To improve it, I have done both various types of squatting maneuvers (a favorite being putting an exercise ball against a wall, leaning on it, and gradually rolling the ball up and down the wall). But I've had a tibial plateau fracture on the left with major cartilage damage, and I have some osteo in my right knee, and they're finally getting to the point where they aren't tolerating squats or the leg push machine at the gym.

After playing ice hockey for almost 30 yrs, downhill skiing on many bump runs and expert trails, being on a college fencing team (lots of lunges), doing martial arts for 30+ yrs (low stances) and other assorted rec sports, my knees started to hurt so much I thought I would need surgery. I talked to friends who had their knees scoped/cleaned out. My situation sounded similar. I went to a doctor and he recommended a PT.

They said that my leg muscles were stronger on one part of the leg and not balanced enough on the other part. Basically, my knee cap would not properly bend with the knee and stay aligned where it is supposed to stay. Instead, it was being pulled to the outside of the knee causing much pain. I went to therapy for a while and lo and behold the pain went away. I had to do special strengthening exercises that worked specific muscles while not working the ones that did not need it. Now I'm more cautious about balancing out my workout routine.

Other than the osteo, maybe it's something similar with you. Good luck.

i had an accident like almost 4 years ago, maybe a bit more, busted my knee , it still hurts sometimes, i wasn't able to jump or jug for a year maybe a bit more, the bones weren't damage thankfully, but i think Knee ligaments were badly hurt.
im not a doctor but i used to practice martial arts before the accident, so giving up on it was not an option. so we have a special exercise, to make your arms handle alot of stress for a long time, just simply open your arms to the sides for as long as you can,rest a bit for like 30 seconds, and do it again. for 5 or 10 minutes. i did the same for my knee, everyday i would keep my leg parrarell to the ground, you'd feel your muscles pressing. after 3 months it helped alot, i wasn't able to jump very high. but i was able to go up the stairs.
but always know your limit, pushing yourself might hurt even more than it would help.
whoever tells you "no pain, no gain" is out of his mind, like my own dad.
check it first, if its not a bone problem. then you just need working out.
if you are not interested in mass growth and only interested in stamina, then put light weights and train for as long as you can, leg press - 15x3 "for example" , instead of 8-6x3 with heavy weights.
if you dont go to the gym just hang a very small bag, sit on the couch, and leave it hanging in the air for as long as you can.
i hope i didn't confuse you, since english isn't my native language, was a bit hard a bit talking about the knee parts and other stuff. but i hope i managed to deliver the idea

I ran 20 plus miles a week for 15 years and began having pain with squat machines, wall squats, leg presses, etc. Issues were chondromalacia, mild osteo, and one funky tendon.

I started working with a new trainer and told him all this but he felt that fixed repetitive moves were the problem asked me to try walking lunges, freestanding squats, some Russian kettleball swings, and some balance moves. To my surprise, I could do these non repetitive, non fixed position moves much better and they helped me regain a lot of strength and stability in my knees. They are still not perfect, and a bit unstable on downhill hikes, but much stronger and more functional. If you can find a true athletic trainer/PT person, they might be able to help you improve the functioning of your knees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom