Losing weight when you don't have time to lose it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to this thread and the mention of the under desk cycle/elliptical, I got one of the under desk cycles this weekend. I’ll use it in front of the TV. It is awesome. Able to get a good cardio workout and it feels just like the recumbent bike I used to use at the gym. Cancelling my gym membership. They’re still open here, but I’m not going due to covid.

Thanks to this thread and the mention of the under desk cycle/elliptical, I got one of the under desk cycles this weekend. I’ll use it in front of the TV. It is awesome. Able to get a good cardio workout and it feels just like the recumbent bike I used to use at the gym. Cancelling my gym membership. They’re still open here, but I’m not going due to covid.
Give us a review and once you’ve had a chance to use it for awhile.

Give us a review and once you’ve had a chance to use it for awhile.

@uncfnp

Review as requested!

This is the one I got. It's super quiet and doesn't move on carpet.
https://www.amazon.com/DeskCycle-Un...07BDRFMZK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I don't use it at my desk. I use it while watching TV or streaming something on my laptop. 30 minutes is my daily exercise goal on my Apple Watch, but sometimes I'll break it up into multiple, shorter sessions. Between this and my dumbbells, I'm fine working out at home. I don't miss having to go out to the gym. I don't really pay attention to the little display on the wee bike (as I call it). I just use the workout app on my Apple Watch which has an option for indoor cycling.

I spent a few months last year recovering from a shoulder and arm injury that was exacerbated by poor overall strength (I just turned 50 and, though I am pretty active, I hadn't worked out with weights since my early 20s). My physical therapist was frank with me and said that if I didn't start working on my overall body strength in a real way, it was going to be downhill from here in terms of joint problems and injuries.

I took it to heart and started to try to develop a weight training schedule but was quickly overwhelmed by the amount of time it seemed like I'd have to put in (leg days, arm days, chests days, etc.). I finally found a trainer whose philosophy is that all you need is two 25-30 min., high intensity workout per week, hitting all the muscle groups each time. The high intensity (i.e., limited to no rest between sets) aspect makes it as much a cardio workout as a weight workout. It's been a revelation. I've lost 15 pounds in five months (while adding muscle) and at age 50 am now stronger than I was at 25.

My takeaway point is, if you can find a half hour twice a week (while also paying attention to your diet -- getting more protein, fewer carbs, and as little sugar as you can manage), you can really get good results.

Back
Top Bottom