Losing weight when you don't have time to lose it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElizaDoolittle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 55 years old, 5' 7" and 172 pounds, which classifies me as overweight. But when I was a slim teenager I still weighed more than most of the people in my class, so I suppose I have heavy bones (and I look like it, having broad shoulders, long arms and legs...). When people see me fully dressed no one believes I am on the plumpy side (I've never been one for tight clothes); seeing me in a diving suit exposes my fat rolls around my belly and my thick thighs.

So, yes, I could do with some weight loss, though maybe not as much as one would thing seeing my heigth and weight. I've known this for years, but it's only diving that has provided me with the willingness to do so.

I lead a healthy life in all aspects but one: I'm terribly sedentary. I spent four hours a day commuting to work in a coach (if it were in a train, I would be able to walk in the aisle), and I'm seated most of the day in my workplace. When I'm not, I try to walk fast, I walk up and down the stairs instead of getting the lift (though my workplace has only got two floors)... But considering I only spend 9-10 hours at home (Saturdays included), and that I must use them for sleeping, having a showering and having dinner, and housework, there is no way I can go to a gym or do some sort of exercise. Breakfasts and midday meals are had in cafeterias/restaurants, and although I try to eat the healthiest dishes I can see, there's not much I can vary here. There's no microwave oven or anything like that at my workplace, and eating cold salads every day is not my cup of tea, really.

Is there anything you can recommend so I can try to lose some weight in these conditions? Gaining strength / endurance are also in my wish list.

Thanks!

The only real way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. You have to be burning more calories than you're consuming. I know that's an oversimplification, but it's the basics of any weight loss.

You can either reduce the calories you're currently consuming, or you can start burning more calories by moving more. If you pick up an exercise program (weight training/cardio/etc) that will help with the endurance/strength as well as burning more calories.

I don't have a ton of free time either, so I started doing walks then runs during lunch time at work. Then, instead of eating a regular lunch, I drink a low calorie protein shake. I'm not a slim and trim guy (5'9" at 210 lbs) but that routine has brought me down from almost 230 lbs to 210 now. I'm at the point now where I need to make some other diet changes in order to keep losing more weight. But my fitness level is worlds above where it used to be.

Good luck!

Move. Those 4 hours a day commuting are a nearly insurmountable problem if you wish to live a healthier life. You either need to get closer to work or find a job closer to where your live.

If that's impossible (but is it really?), the only thing I can think of is to walk or cycle to and from a more distant train stop. This will allow you to exercise twice daily without adding any time except that spent exercising.

I'm 55 years old, 5' 7" and 172 pounds, which classifies me as overweight. But when I was a slim teenager I still weighed more than most of the people in my class, so I suppose I have heavy bones (and I look like it, having broad shoulders, long arms and legs...). When people see me fully dressed no one believes I am on the plumpy side (I've never been one for tight clothes); seeing me in a diving suit exposes my fat rolls around my belly and my thick thighs.

So, yes, I could do with some weight loss, though maybe not as much as one would thing seeing my heigth and weight. I've known this for years, but it's only diving that has provided me with the willingness to do so.

I lead a healthy life in all aspects but one: I'm terribly sedentary. I spent four hours a day commuting to work in a coach (if it were in a train, I would be able to walk in the aisle), and I'm seated most of the day in my workplace. When I'm not, I try to walk fast, I walk up and down the stairs instead of getting the lift (though my workplace has only got two floors)... But considering I only spend 9-10 hours at home (Saturdays included), and that I must use them for sleeping, having a showering and having dinner, and housework, there is no way I can go to a gym or do some sort of exercise. Breakfasts and midday meals are had in cafeterias/restaurants, and although I try to eat the healthiest dishes I can see, there's not much I can vary here. There's no microwave oven or anything like that at my workplace, and eating cold salads every day is not my cup of tea, really.

Is there anything you can recommend so I can try to lose some weight in these conditions? Gaining strength / endurance are also in my wish list.

Thanks!
If you are asking for a way to lose weight and gain health without making sacrifices, the answer is no. You can’t. But even given your time and lifestyle challenges it is possible but will take determination and a commitment to long term changes.

Contrary to popular thought healthy exercise does not require a gym membership, expensive equipment or large segments of time. As you have, start by looking at ways to add movement to daily activities. Stand instead of sit when possible. When sitting, move...leg raises. It is amazing the exercises you can do between chores, at work breaks. Find a wall, rest back against wall with knees bent to 90 degrees. Hold position for a minute and repeat x 3. This get too easy? Extend one leg hold then alternate.

Before work or after, commit to 15 minute routines. 15 minutes can improve health. Look at HIIT routines. Samples...

A 15-minute full body HIIT workout — no equipment required

This 15-Minute HIIT Workout Routine Is Perfect For A Quick Home Workout

https://www.amazon.com/15-Minute-HIIT-Workout-Maggie-Binkley/dp/B01MSYL992

Exercise for health but for weight loss you have to look at nutrition. Not diet but a change in your nutrition. For a quick start I suggest Keto or even a less strict low carb version. Another excellent choice, especially for a lifetime commitment to health, is the Mediterranean diet. Lost of info on the web for both. And FB support groups.

Exercise is important for weight loss and general health, but the saying is that 80% of weight loss is in the kitchen. Find a diet program that works for you over the long run. The quickie, "lose 30 pounds in 2 weeks" diets almost always reverse in a few months. If you have a supportive partner or friend, it will help a lot. One other thing I found very useful is to keep a daily calorie diary. You might be surprised by how much things like salad dressing and afternoon snacks add up. But with commitment you can do it, and dropping some weight and improving your overall conditioning will keep you diving for at least another 20 years.

I tracked calories for a while using MyFitnessPal, which I recommend. One of the major things I learned from that is that exercise is not that helpful for weight loss. A pound of fat equals about 3500 calories; you'd have to jog about 35 miles to burn that! On the other hand, if you reduce your daily caloric intake by just 500 calories, which you may be able to do rather painlessly if you cut out alcohol, soda, flavored coffee, etc. and slightly reduce your portions, you could lose that pound in a week.

Another thing I discovered is that by balancing my intake of macronutrients--getting roughly 20% of my calories from protein, 30% from fat, and 50% from carbs, as the app urges--I was able to feel satisfied on slightly fewer calories than if I ate a lot of one thing and not enough of another. I discovered fruit has more calories than I realized, and they're pretty much all sugar, so I needed to moderate my intake of what I thought of as a freebie. I discovered black coffee helps a little with appetite suppression, and liquid calories don't satisfy me.

Your mileage may vary; I've seen different people succeed on different diets. But I do think tracking your calories can help you get to know your body. It's annoying, and sometimes it's difficult to find that information, but it works.

Good luck!

I find the best way to lose weight is to have more meals but smaller portions and made of the right nutrients.

for example:
- have rice with brocolis and chicken
- sweet potatoes with spinach and salmon

all grilled without fat sauces

You will feel less the need to eat unhealthy things.

At the beginning changing your habits should be enough to lose weight.

Then as you lose weight, your break even calories (the amount you need to eat to keep the same weight) will change so you’ll have to adapt and eat less calories.

Don’t wait to be starving to eat, just change what you eat.

When I cannot bring my own food I do the following:
  • Buy a pack of microwavable rice
  • Buy some greens that you can eat or microwave
  • Buy a portion of chicken or fish (we can buy precooked chicken here in supermarkets, don’t know if you can do the same)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom