Learning to Dive: pep talk needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corsair.... LOL!

...or sitting in the bathtub with your mask and fins on...

:)

I wouldn't laugh too hard at that, I've been in an inflatable kiddie pool measuring a whopping 4'x4' and 12 inches worth of depth... as a gag of course, but I have to admit that I strangly enjoyed it. Needless to say, most of me didn't fit in it, which is what made it so funny!

You gotta do what ya gotta do to keep the 'ol gills wet!

Sea you in the Deep (or not so deep) Blue!

Your head would need to be in because of the mask and snorkel and the feet because of the flippers....
Hmmmmmm,I'm not sure I want to know.....

GasBOY.... 'ere we go again....

:p

to all the newbies out there,

didn't you envy your instructors when they floated there in the water AND DIDN"T MOVE AN INCH!! and here you are, floating more or less, but having to move your hands around a bit and never able to just stop in the water, and wondering when you'll ever figure out the buoyancy thing.....

In India there's a popular soap on TV called (translated)"Because the mother-in-law was also once a daughter-in-law..."

so maybe all the divemasters started off sinking like stones or bobbing like corks - good luck to us all!

It really is amazing when bouyancy control clicks! It didn't happen for me until my first dive trip after certifying. Suddenly everything worked and made sense. You'll get there! :)

Originally posted by Corsair
It really is amazing when bouyancy control clicks! It didn't happen for me until my first dive trip after certifying. Suddenly everything worked and made sense. You'll get there! :)

That soon?! I am truly encouraged. I still can't get weighted quite right. Hopefully I will correct that this weekend.

Kimmie

When we got on the boat in Key West, we had hired a guide. Bob was great. He looked at both of us after we said it was our first time in the ocean, and suggested just the right amount of weight. Went with that amount on subsequent dives and had no problems. I've finally started to lower the amount of weight I wear.

Once you feel more at ease in the water, your body won't fight descending as much, and you can use less. Don't spend too much time worrying about it. You'll get it in your own time. Don't rush it. It'll come to you, and you'll be truly amazed when it happens.

Learning to use the equipment is one task in scuba.. the rest is training your mind to think scuba..

Miss KimmieR - It's Saturday around 3PM (CST) and your scuba family is anxiously awaiting to hear how your dive went today! (You GO girl). I'm sure you did WONDERFUL!

Just a side note, it took me diving on a consistent basis (more than once a year as I did for the first 5 years I was certified) to start to get my buoyancy & weights to where they should be. It just takes a little time & practice. Before you know it, you'll be concentrating on what you can find underwater instead of worrying about "I've got too much weight on." - "Where's the boat" - etc, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom