Learning to Dive: pep talk needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're absolutely right.I have yet to meet someone who didn't have some problems when they started out.Remember,you're only just learning to be a fish.They've been doing it all their lives and make it look easy..lol
It's easy for newbies to look at the instructor and compare their own awkward actions with the smooth.All instuctors have to train to demonstrate at instructor level and it takes a while.As a well known song states..."Don't worry,be happy..." Relax and understand that it's not a competition. You will learn at your own pace and your own limits.We do this thing of ours because WE LOVE IT and it's FUN !!!!
You will be fine.Welcome to the boards darlin!
Cheers Big Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman.

We do this thing of ours because WE LOVE IT and it's FUN !!!!
You will be fine.Welcome to the boards darlin!

Well thanks everyone. I feel much better. I talked with my instructor last night (Mr. Patience himself) and he said not to worry. In fact, he thought everyone did very well for their first time with scuba. After sharing my concerns with other students, it also turns out they were thinking the exact same things I was.

Thanks for all the defogging ideas. I think I'll try some baby shampoo. On second thought I think I'll try the spit thing. I've always got a readys supply of that!

Spit's great just before you jump in the water, but it still helps to pre-treat your mask at home... dishliquid, toothpaste, babyshampoo, whatever.

Originally posted by KimmieR
... First, I put on too much weight and/or my buoyancy skills are terrible because I sank to the bottom like a rock. Second, I feel like I am being pulled back and to the right when I'm in the water. I had a terrible time staying upright.
Ah yes I remember it well... Pool sessions should not require much weight. As previously mentioned, make sure your weights are distributed around. And relax.... become one with the water. A bit of funny, but honestly relax and your bouyancy will improve.

And third, I have a plastic lens mask because I required prescription lenses. I use a spray defogger, but I cannot keep my lenses from fogging up so I can't see what the instructor trying to teach me.
Clean the baby with non-gel toothpaste, once, twice maybe even three times. Rinse thoroughly, then use a defogger. I prefer the semi-gel type (e.g. Sea Drops or PSI 500?)

Please tell me you were all this awkward at the beginning and your skills improved exponentially.
Don't let anyone fool you. We were all "geeks" in the water at one time. Your skills will improve. Now if you have a method for us to stop doing geeky things (forgetting fins when going off the dive boat, wearing sunglasses instead of your mask, not having your drysuit seals checked.... the list goes on)
Take your time, get great instructions (sounds like you are), and relax.

Let us know how you do.

I'm with Diving Gal on the Mask Treatment and defog she has prescribed.

Non gel toothpaste is just abrasive enough to clean off the thin layer of silicone that's sprayed on to protect the mask during the manufacturing process. But not too abrasive as to damage the mask when cleaning it.

The idea behind preventing it from fogging is to use a product that fills in the tiny pits in the glass so that condensation wicks off and therefore prevents fogging. {It's kinda like using a good car wax) Well the problem with spitting is it doesn't last as long as an off the shelf product, and your spit changes from day to day, meaning it could work great one day, but not so great the next. Of the dozens of products available, 500PSI works the best. [red]Remember to use only your finger when using/applying toothpaste or defog solution![/red] Good call Diving Gal!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Welcome! And Diving Gal is right! We were all newbies at one time.... and just think about it... what could be more unnatural for the human brain and body to actually be breathing and swimming underwater like a fish? Just relax, have fun and your brain and body will catch up!
And definitely give your mask a scrubbing with some toothpaste. If it's a new mask it will have a silicone residue on it that defog and spit (hawkers, ID?!) won't take care of. After you give it a scrub or 2 with toothpaste you'll be all set!
Also you'll find that things improve once you're out of the pool. Diving's alot easier when you have things to look at besides the sides of the pool!
Have fun, Kimmie! Casey

Part of your fogged mask problem may be due to a silicone coating that manufacuturers use to coat new lenses. I'm not sure if they use it on plastic lenses ask your eye doctor. If they due you can get the silicone film off of your mask lense by rubbing it with tooth paste. Yeah Toothpaste... Your basic Crest or Colgate will due nicely. Rub it all over the inside of the lense and let dry to a light film then rinse it with plenty of water. Added benefit... nice minty smell...

Hang in there you will love the Open water Dives.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I had my last pool lesson last night. We practiced the ascents and learned some rescue techniques. I was considerably better than my first lesson. I even got pretty good at the rescue techniques, woohoo!

I will have my first real dive this Saturday in a lake. The dive will be about 25 feet deep.

My plastic lenses did not have any silicon coating on them, and I was told not to clean them with toothpaste *shrug*, but I grabbed some palmolive from the kitchen and washed them thoroughly with that. It helped quite a bit.

Thanks again everyone
Kimmie

Better watch out, if you keep this up you're going to be as addicted as the rest of us. Withdrawal symptoms have been known to include the urge to jump in mud puddles wearing a wetsuit...

Back
Top Bottom