Learn me about the ScubaPro G500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been passively looking for a G250 or similar to use as my primary second stage. A friend offered me an older G500. It seems to be in good shape. I dont' really know anything about the design and the internet can't tell me much about the regulator...can ScubaBoard help? Should I snap it up or pass on it? Is there anything I should watch out for?

From my understanding the G500 came in 2 flavors. The first version (older) had a black S on the purge cover and was made in USA. The second version (newer) had a grey S on the purge cover and was made in Europe (Italy, I think). The newer G500 is essentially the same as an older S600. The only difference the parts diagrams show is different covers. Some have claimed that the earlier G500 was actually a better breather because Scubapro needed to retune it meet some sort of CE regulation. I have the latter G500s not the earlier ones so I cannot personally attest to which is the better breather. If the regulator is in good shape and reasonably priced I would purchase it.

Thanks for the information. The one in question is a black regulator with a black inset ScubaPro 'S', so I'm guessing it's the earlier model. I heard that the early ones had a metal barrel, is this true?

I heard the same but I do not have one to check. This thread may give you some further insights.

In the past, I'd suggest looking it up on the independently run and maintained ScubaPro Regulator Museum web-page, but......

scp_g500_1gen.jpgscp_g500.jpg

the first gen g500 had a metal barrel and breathed great, I had three of them. There was a recall on the viva switch that was what I was told the reason they went with the Italian made g500 verus the first gen made in America.

Buy it, it's a great reg, have a good sp ntech check the recall was done and service it and you have a reg that will outdive any of us.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Looks like the first gen is a good buy; we'll see how much it ends up costing me and how much my LDS will charge to service it. Is this the recall in question?

---------- Post added March 26th, 2013 at 12:28 PM ----------

So it looks like the reg in question is post-recall. The CPSC page talks about 13xxxxxx serial numbers or less; the one in question is 19xxxxxx. I should be okay on the VIVA valve issue if I pick up this particular G500, in an official capacity, anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom