LBTS Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been watching some of the posts about shore diving here. I happen to be in Ft.Lauderdale this past weekend and found (the pier you guys dive at)? I was wondering how far out do you go past the pier? And if it is north or south or both.I also was wondering if anyone just snorkels out that far. I was on the pier observing all the marine life. I couldn't believe all the rays I saw including one I hadn't seen yet, a spotted ray? It stuck out like a sore thumb and I seen it coming a hundred yards away. I wish I had brought at least my snorkel gear :(
Anyways I hope to meet some of you there some time, now that I know where its at.
Regards,
Doug

Yes, you found it!

The "first" reef is just past the "can" bouys - that's the one you found about 150 yards out. There's a brief stretch of sand and then you get to the "second" reef, maybe 300 yards. Then you cross a little more sand, a lot of rubble, and a limestone(?) shelf of georgonians and you get to the "drop-off" about 1,000 to 1,500 yards out (I'm guessing). Depths average about 17' throughout, and the drop off steps down to MAYBE 30' somewhere... mostly 25' or so.

The only practical way for most divers to get to the dropoff is by kayak. All the local dive operators do their second dives there, however, and that's where you'll find the bigger fish.

I always enjoy the closest reef in-shore because that's where I've found the most life, and the most interesting critters.

The reef continues north and south of the pier, with some patches better than others. I've heard that Pompano has some nice near-shore reefs, but I've found that the honeycombs you saw peter out 1/2-mile north of the pier. I don't know how far it goes south, but I've been diving as far south as the Marriott at the 17th Street Causeway and, though it's pretty broken up, there are some GREAT ledges.

Unfortunately, the close-in reef is in baaad shape. Yes, there is a lot of life, still, but the coral is clearly in distress covered by silt and the schools of brightly colored reef fish are getting smaller and fewer between. It's depressing, sometimes.

We see a lot of those spotted rays this time of year, as well as taurpin, reef squid, and turtles "everywhere." You'll always find a nurse shark if you cover enough ground, but you'll miss a lot if you go too fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom