Laziness, complacency or is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I have heard of the pro valves. I think that DIN sounds like a good idea but then I also bought betamax before it gave way to VHS followed by laser disc then DVD and now blueray. sigh

They have a number of advantages. I like never having to worry if my tank O-ring is good; or never having to worry about an O-ring blowout or a hard bump unseating your reg.

The great thing about pro valves is you never have to choose. The same tank I screw my DIN into can be the same tank you latch your yoke too.

And I doubt that the two sizes for DIN thing will catch on here for rec. diving. It baffles my mind why anyone would let it start.

Curiosity: will the inserts I have for my pro valves work with any DIN valve? I don't see any logical reason why not, but you never know...

Curiosity: will the inserts I have for my pro valves work with any DIN valve? I don't see any logical reason why not, but you never know...

Good question. I don't see why not, after all if the threads match, they should. The question may be if the Yoke will fit around the valve head. Some DIN valves have alot of extra material up there.

If for the same pressure. There are different DIN valves for 200 and 300 bar.

If for the same pressure. There are different DIN valves for 200 and 300 bar.

The 300 bar DIN valves are supposed to be of a depth such that a yoke regulator cannot fit over them, since most yoke regs are only rated for 232 bar. Most guys I know recommend 200 bar din valves for everything except HP steel tanks. The inserts for the 200 bar din valves are fairly readily available. A 200 bar din valve can take an insert for a yoke valve, and will accept either 200 or 300 bar DIN regs. a 300 bar valve will only accept 300 bar regs. conversely, always get a 300 bar regulator, since they can be used in either 200 or 300 bar valves.

In my diving experience which is admittedly limited, I have yet to see a DIN in real life being used. Funny thing is too, I have only seen 1 person with a BPW, I do not profess to be an expert on the subject, just offering an opinion based on my experience.

Just for S&G, here is my tank stock - about 3 yrs old - all DIN. Its all I've ever owned, though I do have yoke adapters for travel.

For the most part rental stock will all be yoke, because its mostly Al80s and low pressure. Any steels however will be DIN....

Attachments

• IMG_6285.jpg
    IMG_6285.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 149
The 300 bar DIN valves are supposed to be of a depth such that a yoke regulator cannot fit over them, since most yoke regs are only rated for 232 bar. Most guys I know recommend 200 bar din valves for everything except HP steel tanks. The inserts for the 200 bar din valves are fairly readily available. A 200 bar din valve can take an insert for a yoke valve, and will accept either 200 or 300 bar DIN regs. a 300 bar valve will only accept 300 bar regs. conversely, always get a 300 bar regulator, since they can be used in either 200 or 300 bar valves.

True wrt 300 - 300 are deeper than 200s, by a lot. If youre diving 4500psi tanks, then 300DINs are required, and no pro convertable exists that I know of....

Last edited:
I don't own any tanks. All of my diving experience except my OW cert has been Caribbean and recreational.
Just for S&G, here is my tank stock - about 3 yrs old - all DIN. Its all I've ever owned, though I do have yoke adapters for travel.

For the most part rental stock will all be yoke, because its mostly Al80s and low pressure. Any steels however will be DIN....

The "200 bar DIN" if you have a look at the valve is likely to actually say "250 BAR" on it, so...

The "200 bar DIN" if you have a look at the valve is likely to actually say "250 BAR" on it, so...

yeah I have both: 3000psi 230 bar and a 3442 230 bar Pro valves - go figure (sorry, bit blurry but you can read the numbers). They are interchangeable as far as I can tell - inserts of one fit the other no issue. Not sure why the psi difference markings though.

Attachments

• IMG_6342.jpg
    IMG_6342.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6343.jpg
    IMG_6343.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6346.jpg
    IMG_6346.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6345.jpg
    IMG_6345.jpg