Laziness, complacency or is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And a big allen-key.

R..

As I found out to my cost after moving from Yoke to DIN the tank inserts have different size Hex so you need a Hex key set:D

I travel with with the yoke set that was taken off my regs at the conversion so if needs must I can change back for the duration of the trip

however Diver0001.... Talking of plagues, has this stupid different size EN DIN specifically for EAN actually taken off in Europe? If it has how would that affect a diver travelling to Europe with Yoke or standard DIN wanting to dive EAN?

And I don't get it why they don't have valves with a removable insert which can be used for either yoke or DIN. Everybody would be happy.

And I don't get it why they don't have valves with a removable insert which can be used for either yoke or DIN. Everybody would be happy.

I was actually surprised on a trip to Cuba, they were using convertible pro valves. If they can manage to source and afford them there, it really should be more widespread.

Talking of plagues, has this stupid different size EN DIN specifically for EAN actually taken off in Europe? If it has how would that affect a diver travelling to Europe with Yoke or standard DIN wanting to dive EAN?

Unfortunately yes :( Not for cylinders as much, although I have already been to a dive center which had M26 valves for deco cylinders, but fortunately they let me use one of their regs. Where I'm seeing that more is in nitrox regs, they are coming with M26. Of course there are adapters available :wink: And what I think will happen in the future is that we'll all have just M26 and we'll be in the same situation as now. It's the dumbest idea ever.

Unfortunately yes :( Not for cylinders as much, although I have already been to a dive center which had M26 valves for deco cylinders, but fortunately they let me use one of their regs. Where I'm seeing that more is in nitrox regs, they are coming with M26. Of course there are adapters available :wink: And what I think will happen in the future is that we'll all have just M26 and we'll be in the same situation as now. It's the dumbest idea ever.

Does that hat mean you have to show your EAN card to buy the M26 Regs?

Who hi ever came up with that idea should get an award for the rule to cause as much chaos while not fixing a non existent problem

And a big allen-key.

Yep. Forgot that; need an allen key to dismantle the DIN connector on the reg.

I think part of the reason that dive-ops that cater to Americans must still be using sub-optimal gear is that people don't complain enough about it. There needs to be a grass roots movement in American scuba to eliminate the world of this horrible yoke plague. :D

R..
I agree, especially when we have valves that can easily and quickly be converted for both to use? What was the reason for the design of a yoke, when DIN offers a more secure solution?

I predict in 5 years the pure yoke valve will have disappeared like the horse-collar BCD, dual hose reg, and oval mask, only to be found in the inventories of those who like vintage gear.

I predict in 5 years the pure yoke valve will have disappeared like the horse-collar BCD, dual hose reg, and oval mask, only to be found in the inventories of those who like vintage gear.
I suspect not as while the cost of change for an average diver is minimal, dive shops around the world has A LOT of yoke tans and equipment that need to be converted and to them it'll probably be a noticeable cost...

I suspect not as while the cost of change for an average diver is minimal, dive shops around the world has A LOT of yoke tans and equipment that need to be converted and to them it'll probably be a noticeable cost...
Ok, you're right...say 15 years then. Already it's tough to find a yoke only option for new tanks, as most sold with new tanks are pro valves. I predict that as shops get new inventory, and replace damaged inventory, the yoke will slowly disappear.

What was the reason for the design of a yoke, when DIN offers a more secure solution?

+1. Can any of the old heads answer this wrt history? I'd like to know just outta shear curiosity....

Ok, you're right...say 15 years then. Already it's tough to find a yoke only option for new tanks, as most sold with new tanks are pro valves. I predict that as shops get new inventory, and replace damaged inventory, the yoke will slowly disappear.
I hope so. I'm just not big enough of an optimist to see it happening within this decade :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom