Laziness, complacency or is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of yoke regs out there. With the idea that a regulator can last forever if treated properly I don't think it is going to be a quick switch.

Lots of yoke regs out there. With the idea that a regulator can last forever if treated properly I don't think it is going to be a quick switch.
Yes, but many regs come in DIN or yoke options. With a few parts, almost anyone can convert one.

I don't care to spend the money to convert mine. Why mess with something that isn't broke?

The OP was about the simple task of changing an oring. I submit there is little to no difficulty in changing the tank oring and moving on, even if the oring costs a penny or a dime.

Yes, but many regs come in DIN or yoke options. With a few parts, almost anyone can convert one.

Egg lover, eh? :)

---------- Post added April 13th, 2014 at 12:44 AM ----------

I always carry a baggie of spare O-rings in the zippered pouch in my reg bag, as well as in my save a dive kit. Also in the save a dive kit are a couple of inserts for pro valves - my son uses DIN and mine are yoke, so when we grab 4 tanks from the garage I want to know we are both going to dive :)

He always has his DIN => yoke adapter in his reg bag.

Haha, good catch, I'm usually responding with a screaming newborn and lack,of sleep!

I don't care to spend the money to convert mine. Why mess with something that isn't broke?

The OP was about the simple task of changing an oring. I submit there is little to no difficulty in changing the tank oring and moving on, even if the oring costs a penny or a dime.
I'm not saying you have to. With a pro valve, you'll never have to. That's what we're saying; in 5-15 years, I doubt you'll find a pure yoke valve. They'll be pro valves. You do know what this is, right?

But, with a DIN; you'll never have to worry about a tank O ring again. Keep your yoke and enjoy. :D

Thanks, I will. And unlike some, I will carry a few orings in my save a dive kit and change them at will.

In my diving experience which is admittedly limited, I have yet to see a DIN in real life being used. Funny thing is too, I have only seen 1 person with a BPW, I do not profess to be an expert on the subject, just offering an opinion based on my experience.

I can buy a lifetime supply of tank orings and replace them on every dive and still spend less money than converting my regulator to DIN.

If I read things correctly the Europeans have already decided to change sizes or design on DIN, requiring yet another conversion. I think I will stick with my yoke while ya'll sort that out. Thanks!

I'm not saying you have to. With a pro valve, you'll never have to. That's what we're saying; in 5-15 years, I doubt you'll find a pure yoke valve. They'll be pro valves. You do know what this is, right?

But, with a DIN; you'll never have to worry about a tank O ring again. Keep your yoke and enjoy. :D

I have yet to actually SEE any of the new "nitrox DIN" crap fortunately.
I dont thing its so much a change of design as it is an addition to the existing 200 and 300 bar versions though...

the dive op that I use when on holiday in Egypt (so nearly European? - certainly very few Americans, if any, there) has DIN valves on their tanks and its the same DIN regardless of whether you are diving EAN or air. Admittedly my diving is limited and I've not got much experience of UK diving (too darned cold) so cannot comment on whats happening here.

My understanding from my PADI OW course in 2001 was that the DIN was a more modern valve when compared to the yoke I don't have my OW book to hand so can't quote what they said in the book though . I believe it is easier to get an insert to change a DIN to a yoke than the other way. I'm a diver that hires equipment on holiday.... (I do always check my O-ring and make sure my SPG et al are in working order)

In my diving experience which is admittedly limited, I have yet to see a DIN in real life being used.
They have a number of advantages. I like never having to worry if my tank O-ring is good; or never having to worry about an O-ring blowout or a hard bump unseating your reg.

The great thing about pro valves is you never have to choose. The same tank I screw my DIN into can be the same tank you latch your yoke too.

And I doubt that the two sizes for DIN thing will catch on here for rec. diving. It baffles my mind why anyone would let it start.

Yeah. I have five of these now. And only room for about three before I start needing duct tape to keep the save a dive kit closed.

No no. The duct tape goes IN the SAD kit, not on it. You just need a bigger container.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom