Laziness, complacency or is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, you can worry about the 1st stage O-ring instead :D

And you can worry about an even more serious problem: a DIN tank valve that became bent/deformed during your long road trip to the dive site after someone packed your tank in the trunk of your car after forgetting to plug your DIN valve with either your regulator or a DIN plug or a DIN insert. Now your precious DIN regulator won't screw into your precious DIN valve! Of course, this almost never happens...

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

And you can worry about an even more serious problem: a DIN tank valve that became bent/deformed during your long road trip to the dive site after someone packed your tank in the trunk of your car after forgetting to plug your DIN valve with either your regulator or a DIN plug or a DIN insert. Now your precious DIN regulator won't screw into your precious DIN valve! Of course, this almost never happens...

Safe Diving,

rx7diver
I can honestly say I have NEVER seen it happen in the past 8 years even with rental tanks.. must be extremely fortunate for me that people don't cram stuff into the DIN tank valves to save space...

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Simple answer is pack your own gear.

However, if this is the way the gear is packed, I would be more concerned about my regulators and lights which are far more delicate than a tank valve.

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen it happen in the past 8 years even with rental tanks.. must be extremely fortunate for me that people don't cram stuff into the DIN tank valves to save space...

Maybe eight years is not long enough. I learned this lesson nearly twenty years ago after a long drive from Ann Arbor MI to Grand Portage MN. BTW, 300 Br valves bend more easily than 200 Br valves, it seems.

Simple answer is pack your own gear. However, if this is the way the gear is packed, I would be more concerned about my regulators and lights which are far more delicate than a tank valve.

A Suburban can carry quite a bit of gear, including oxygen storage bottles and several sets of doubles and deco cylinders and milk crates filled with regulators and overboard oxygen systems, each of which has a lot of mass and wants to keep moving even when the Suburban wants to stop. I assure you, the person who packed believed he had packed extremely carefully. I didn't make this mistake. But I certainly learned to avoid making it.

Point is, there are pros and cons to everything--including DIN valves and DIN regulators. But I don't need/mean to lecture any of the old-timers here.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

No, you can worry about the 1st stage O-ring instead :D

I know. I was technically correct. Just not fully truthful. :D

I've experienced a blown O-ring on a DIN reg set. It happens a lot less often than with a yoke setup, but it's entirely possible. At least on land, while setting up the gear. Which is why I keep a few O-rings and a pick in my save-a-dive kit.
Good to know. I've lost a DIN o-ring, and so I keep a few. Good to know they can still blow out.

I would respectively disagree with that. The additional threads do provide extra holding capacity for the valve-regulator fit. And for divers using HP tanks, or LP tanks with "cave-fills," a 300 bar valve provides a measure of security that a 200 or 250 bar valve does not provide, and ensures that a yoke valve cannot be fitted to a HP tank with an adapter.

I've had my tanks filled to 4000psi in cave country, well above the rated pressure for a 200 or 250 bar valve.

I believe that mechanical engineering calculations show that the two additional threads have no impact on the valve's ability to handle pressure differently within the 200 bar-300bar range and up to tank test pressures. I have heard this from a pretty reliable source.

The 300 bar valves have deeper cutouts and often less metal surrounding them. This actually lowers their structural durability if they're getting banged around. The deeper cutout was specifically to prevent regulator compatibility, not to add strength.

People talk about the advantage of DIN all the time, but consider the life of a rental tank at a busy resort area. They get tossed around and banged up. Over time this could knock a lot of DIN valves out of round, which really weakens the connection. And there would be exposed threads on the valve to get gritty and corroded.

Yoke valves have proven to be very durable in some pretty nasty conditions over long periods of time.

A Suburban can carry quite a bit of gear, including oxygen storage bottles and several sets of doubles and deco cylinders and milk crates filled with regulators and overboard oxygen systems, each of which has a lot of mass and wants to keep moving even when the Suburban wants to stop. I assure you, the person who packed believed he had packed extremely carefully. I didn't make this mistake. But I certainly learned to avoid making it.

I'm not going to tell you how to pack your gear, but my pickup truck can carry a lot of gear as well, and anything that I think is going to move under hard braking gets strapped down.

My point is that bottles (especially oxygen bottles) should not be banging around to the point where their valves are damaged.

Last edited:
Yup, already pointed out. I guess having a brain fart is an unforgivable offense on SB...

No ... it's just something I see from time to time, and thought you'd like to know.

I don't chronically read all the way to the end of a thread before I reply to something so I missed that someone else had pointed it out until after I posted.

My apologies if I offended ... that wasn't the intent ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've seen it once, and it was with a 300b valve. I think the 200b ones are a bit tougher because they are more squat.

A more compelling reason to plug the valves is to prevent gas loss. THATS a thing I've seen a bunch of times, and makes for some serious sads when you drive 4hrs just to find your tanks are empty.

Yoke valves have proven to be very durable in some pretty nasty conditions over long periods of time.

But do you get them in 300 bar pressure rating? :wink: 8)

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Back
Top Bottom