Laziness, complacency or is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point is, there are pros and cons to everything--including DIN valves and DIN regulators. But I don't need/mean to lecture any of the old-timers here.

I'm not going to tell you how to pack your gear, but my pickup truck can carry a lot of gear as well, and anything that I think is going to move under hard braking gets strapped down.

My point is that bottles (especially oxygen bottles) should not be banging around to the point where their valves are damaged.

nimoh,

I think we're in agreement: Care should be taken, whether K-valves (with their exposed O-rings) are involved, or DIN valves (with their somewhat "moldable" design) are involved, or any other piece of gear is involved. And any particular piece of gear, or type/design/model of gear, etc., is not the panacea that some would have one believe. There are pros and cons with anything. Bad things can happen even to good DIN valves. Fair enough?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Regarding bent DIN valves. I've seen it one. Doubles (300 bar din manifold) strapped down very well. Emergency braking to avoid crash during winter storms getting from Alberta to Vancouver Island. Doubles slipped straps and banged into something else and crushed the DIN. Pretty much unavoidable. (I was there but not driving). The tanks had plugs in the DIN, but they were squashed as well.

After that we obtained SS DIN insert plugs (with o-rings on the end) to both protect the DIN valve and avoid gas loss in the event a valve got opened by accident (hate to lose He from doubles). I still have all of mine and still use them though just for storage now.

Regarding bent DIN valves. I've seen it one. Doubles (300 bar din manifold) strapped down very well. Emergency braking to avoid crash during winter storms getting from Alberta to Vancouver Island. Doubles slipped straps and banged into something else and crushed the DIN. Pretty much unavoidable. (I was there but not driving). The tanks had plugs in the DIN, but they were squashed as well.

Regarding bent valves: Don't you guys pack the tanks in the bottom of the trunk with the valve pointing backwards? If I'm involved in a car accident, one of the things I don't want to experience is a tank leaving my car at warp speed with 300 bar exiting where the valve once was...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Regarding bent valves: Don't you guys pack the tanks in the bottom of the trunk with the valve pointing backwards? If I'm involved in a car accident, one of the things I don't want to experience is a tank leaving my car at warp speed with 300 bar exiting where the valve once was...

--
I guess its not everywhere youre supposed to secure your load so you can roll the vehicle without it being thrown all over the place...

After that we obtained SS DIN insert plugs (with o-rings on the end) to both protect the DIN valve and avoid gas loss in the event a valve got opened by accident (hate to lose He from doubles). I still have all of mine and still use them though just for storage now.

Yes, Immediately upon returning from the dive trip I described above, I replaced the delrin DIN plugs in my doubles with SS DIN plugs (with O-rings in the end). Too cheap to do the same for my deco bottles, though. However, probably would have if my deco bottles (nitrox only) had been used as oxygen deco bottles.

I guess its not everywhere youre supposed to secure your load so you can roll the vehicle without it being thrown all over the place...

Best packing aside, sometimes stuff just happens. I am glad to hear you are perfect and nothing similar would happen to you. Are you in the habit of rolling your vehicles, though?

Best packing aside, sometimes stuff just happens. I am glad to hear you are perfect and nothing similar would happen to you. Are you in the habit of rolling your vehicles, though?
I wouldnt call it a HABIT...
It IS actually a legal requirement here that the load you carry need to be secure enough for it to stay in the vehicle if you do so - which means it need to be strapped down to the point where it cant move while you're driving even if you need to manouver or break to avoid anything...

Are you in the habit of rolling your vehicles, though?

No. I am also not in the habit of crashing (actually never have, after more than 30 years a driver), but I still wear a seatbelt whenever I'm in a moving car. Just as I make sure my cargo is secure and doesn't shift, roll or cause a dangerous situation in case of an accident, a sharp turn or heavy braking. It's not just the law, it's common sense as well

--

Well you know what they say about common sense though...

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

..... or break to avoid anything...

If you need to brake to avoid breaking something, then you need a break...or a brake....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom