Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett:
Well, its supposed to be the 22nd. But our flights were cancelled. We can get a flight to Cancun, but without assurances (or knowledge) that we can get to a place where the ferries run to Cozumel. Nor that the ferry will be going or if we can get back when its time for our return flight.

Also, our travel agent spoke to an American that just returned from Cozumel. She said that Cozumel is in worse shape than we are hearing and she recommended not to go. Again, that's just heresay from an unknown source, but its got us nervous. I think tomorrow we are going to look for vacancies on the peninsula and move over there to Cancun or Playa Del Carmen if there are some.

Yes, we got hit pretty bad, but the clean-up has been amazing! The reefs and vis are fine!

Tourist areas are clean and have electricity with exception of the southern resoorts. Downtown, you almost cannot even tell there was a hurricane!

Please don't cancel your vacations! We need you to come back!

DallasNewbie:
Funjet's website states that charter flights are canceled, but scheduled airtravel depends on the airline. Our flights are on Mexicana Airlines, so I called them and they said our outbound flight is still going, but they have no record of our return flight. He couldn't find any flight with that number on that day. Of course, the number for Funjet is busy. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Take another look at your schedule. If that is a Funjet package, they may have you on another airline (Ryan) for your return trip. I think they (and Adventure tours) use Mexicana after they fill their Ryan charter.

Well said Amber............ we leave 630 am sat for Coz from Denver....... Dive bag is pack and taking a pair of work gloves if they need a hand.........

DallasNewbie:
Well, Funjet seems to be intent on keeping people out. :frustrate

Well, Funjet is a high volume low margin operation, and as such they are very risk avoidant.

Worry free is telling us that hotel are closed when their websites say they are open. This really is not going well. Now, we are needed to change our reservation of cancel. We do not want to cancel, but can anyone help. Is playa azul expensive, we have children going and can spend all our money on food.

ggunn:
Well, Funjet is a high volume low margin operation, and as such they are very risk avoidant.
They should extend their risk avoidance policy to not breeching their contracts. According to their Traveler's Bill of Rights, "Charter tours will not be cancelled by the Operator less than 10 days before the scheduled departure date except for circumstances that make it physically impossible to perform the charter trip." These are their terms. There are no circumstances that "make it physically impossible to perform the charter trip." The island is still there, the airport is open, the hotels are open. Plus, they are wanting passengers to pay any costs of rebooking. That's if you can even find a flight. Their website just says "No flgihts are available" no matter what dates I put in. The travel agent that they assigned me when I booked through their website is no help, either.

Does anyone know how to absolutely verify that the ferry between Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel is running normally? Thanks.

DallasNewbie:
They should extend their risk avoidance policy to not breeching their contracts. According to their Traveler's Bill of Rights, "Charter tours will not be cancelled by the Operator less than 10 days before the scheduled departure date except for circumstances that make it physically impossible to perform the charter trip." These are their terms. There are no circumstances that "make it physically impossible to perform the charter trip." The island is still there, the airport is open, the hotels are open. Plus, they are wanting passengers to pay any costs of rebooking. That's if you can even find a flight. Their website just says "No flgihts are available" no matter what dates I put in. The travel agent that they assigned me when I booked through their website is no help, either.

Yeah, they can be a pain to deal with. They refuse to book me for more than a week's stay, so I have not used them in years. The bad news is that in order to hold them to their terms, you'll probably have to hire a lawyer, and by the time you could make anything happen that way, the crisis (and the time that you want to go) will have passed. They are probably counting on that to deter anyone from trying to hold their feet to the fire.

Jarrett:
Does anyone know how to absolutely verify that the ferry between Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel is running normally? Thanks.

PM Christi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom