Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Worry Free Travel Agent just called and our hotel El Cozumeleno is closed??? Funny, when I spoke to them they said they were okay. So now we are staying at the presdente (sp). Lost a little money, but I am more worried about staying anywhere. I just would like to know that the hotel has power, water, and a beach.

Help Help

Funjet's website states that charter flights are canceled, but scheduled airtravel depends on the airline. Our flights are on Mexicana Airlines, so I called them and they said our outbound flight is still going, but they have no record of our return flight. He couldn't find any flight with that number on that day. Of course, the number for Funjet is busy. Does anyone know what's up with that?

DivingDoc:
What about Fiesta Americana??

We were scheduled to go to Cozumel on Friday, July 22 and stay at the Fiesta Americana. Our travel agent just reported that Fiesta Americana is closed until July 25th. Apple Tours is granting us a voucher that is good for a year.

The ride to Playa del Carmen by bus $7, and pick up is at the east end of the airport. Its a 45 min ride and as of today the Riviera Buses were making the trip. Ferry to Coz is 40 min and is running. You should have no problem.

fishfry2:
Well, Worry Free Travel Agent just called and our hotel El Cozumeleno is closed???

Can you give me a name and number to verify this? Need to find out ASAP.

El Cozumeleno is closed until July 22, Friday. When are you going Jarrett?

Well, its supposed to be the 22nd. But our flights were cancelled. We can get a flight to Cancun, but without assurances (or knowledge) that we can get to a place where the ferries run to Cozumel. Nor that the ferry will be going or if we can get back when its time for our return flight.

Also, our travel agent spoke to an American that just returned from Cozumel. She said that Cozumel is in worse shape than we are hearing and she recommended not to go. Again, that's just heresay from an unknown source, but its got us nervous. I think tomorrow we are going to look for vacancies on the peninsula and move over there to Cancun or Playa Del Carmen if there are some.

Any news from Scuba-Du at El Cozumeleno? I was trying to get in touch with them to make reservations for the middle of August but they never got back to me, then the hurricane hit. I'm curious to know if they made it through.

I'm booked to be down there on Saturday with the PADI Dive Society, and there's no question I'm going. Am I expecting things to be a bit rough? Of course. Scuba Club Cozumel fortunately suffered very little damage and has electricity already. However, I do expect the rest of the island to be in need of some help. And more than the diving now, that's why I'm going. Fortunately, Delta is back flying again into Cozumel.

I have dives scheduled with Christi as well during the week - no way am I going to cancel those. I was planning on going in to town for dinner a few nights - now I'm going to try to organize a group from SCC to come with me. I might have walked in to town to save $$ (and get a bit more exercise) ... now I know I'll take a taxi. The best way to get everything back to the way we love it is not to cancel until a time when things are 100% repaired. The best way is to go now, still experience the wonderful diving, but help the fabulous locals we so love and who make Cozumel what it is rebuild their livelihoods. They don't need hand outs from us. They need our BUSINESS!

So yes, there will be inconveniences. But seriously consider keeping your vacation plans as they are (or making slight adjustments if necessary if your hotel cannot accommodate you or if you have to fly in to Cancun rather than Cozumel and then take the ferry).

I expect this may be one of the most meaningful "vacations" I will take. Not what I expected when I booked it, but something I'll always remember.

Cozumel, here I come!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom