Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Photocoz:
When Armando went down south today - Fiesta Americana was fine.

Thanks much for the update. Do you know anything about how Dive House and their boats fared? (Dive House is the diving operation for Fiesta Americana).

DivingDoc :06:

I just heard from Jeannie at Blue Angel that a pilot whale was found washed up on the east side of the island.

I just got this from the folks at Carib Blu. I'm leaving on Friday morning!

Cozumel received a hard hit from Emily - we sustained minor damage at the hotel - mainly water damage. All of our staff is safe - thank goodness.

Our pier held up but the sidewalk in front of the pool did not.

The problem was there was NO electricity on the island.

Yesterday the downtown Melgar area was restored all the way up to Hotel Cozumel (1/4 mile from us) and 250 repairmen have arrived from Mexico city to help - we were told within 5 days all of the island would have electric again.

The road was badly washed out on the other side of the island - and they found a pilot whale washed up - dead. We have only heard of much destruction on the east side of the island.

Fortunately for us - all of our client's that were in the hotel were able to get back to the US before Emily hit.

Our boats faired well - as did my personal house - we consider ourselves extremely lucky.

We are limited today only by the number of air tanks we are able to get from our supplier - since his equipment is run on 2 phase electric - but that should be remedied soon.

Please let me know what you would like to do - we will of course refund any deposits should you cancel or roll them over for a future date.

Thank You
Jeanie Buscher
BLUE ANGEL DIVE SHOP

Tentative Opening Dates Announced by FunJet Vacations

Allegro Cozumel - 11/01/05
Grand Cozumel- 11/01/2005
Iberostar- 11/01/2005
Melia- 7/23/2005
Presidente- 7/21/2005
Reef Club- 11/01/2005
Sol Cabanas Del Caribe 7/23/2005
El Cozumeleno 7/22/2005

Just got this from Funjet:

COZUMEL
The island of Cozumel has experienced significant damage as a result of Hurricane Emily. Funjet Vacations will not be operating charter/value flights into Cozumel through August 1, 2005. http://www.funjet.com//specials/hurricane.asp

Can anyone offer a recommendation on the possibilty of flying into Cancun and taking a ferry to Cozumel? Thanks a bunch.

Jarrett:
Just got this from Funjet:

COZUMEL
The island of Cozumel has experienced significant damage as a result of Hurricane Emily. Funjet Vacations will not be operating charter/value flights into Cozumel through August 1, 2005. http://www.funjet.com//specials/hurricane.asp

Maybe I'm not leaving on Friday after :06: all...

texmaxdiver:
Maybe I'm not leaving on Friday after :06: all...

I know someone in Cozumel right now, as of 4:00 pm CST, July 20, most of the island has restored power. The tourist areas are almost at 100% power. The hotels sustained some damage, but they are operational. I know that at least some of the dive shops will be starting up their diving tomorrow, Thursday. They had to put their boats on dry storage areas to protect them. So, if you are planning on going to Cozumel in the next couple of days, you should be fine. I have a friend that is leaving Friday morning, and he is going to be able to dive. I don't know about the visibility of the water, but at least he'll be able to go and dive this weekend. I think they were much more prepared for this one than they were for Gilbert.

What about Fiesta Americana??

Debraw:
Tentative Opening Dates Announced by FunJet Vacations

Allegro Cozumel - 11/01/05
Grand Cozumel- 11/01/2005
Iberostar- 11/01/2005
Melia- 7/23/2005
Presidente- 7/21/2005
Reef Club- 11/01/2005
Sol Cabanas Del Caribe 7/23/2005
El Cozumeleno 7/22/2005

jgreenwood6:
I know someone in Cozumel right now, as of 4:00 pm CST, July 20, most of the island has restored power. The tourist areas are almost at 100% power. The hotels sustained some damage, but they are operational. I know that at least some of the dive shops will be starting up their diving tomorrow, Thursday. They had to put their boats on dry storage areas to protect them. So, if you are planning on going to Cozumel in the next couple of days, you should be fine. I have a friend that is leaving Friday morning, and he is going to be able to dive. I don't know about the visibility of the water, but at least he'll be able to go and dive this weekend. I think they were much more prepared for this one than they were for Gilbert.

Also, Emily was a tadpole compared to Gilbert.

Well, it's official, Funjet has really cancelled all their flights into Cozumel till August. It's great to see how much they're supporting (NOT) the pleas of the people of Cozumel to bring the divers and other tourists back. I'm sure they just don't want to deal with trying to rebook all their customers who did air/hotel combos.

So, sorry divemaster's at Blue Angel. Sorry Caribe Blu staff. I tried... I'll try again in September.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom