Lapsed instructor recertification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madmanmike

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys

I was a PADI MSDT and left the biz in 2007. Did not do the yearly upkeep, so completely lapsed. I am in the process of getting a SDI divemaster certification.

Just wondered, is doing a complete, new, IDC my only path back to being an instructor? No recert program of any kind? And if the answer is yes, would you guys recommend I go back to PADI, or try something new? SDI? SSI? Some of the other outfits have significantly cheaper training, while still being large, worldwide organizations.

Thank you for your time,
Michael

If you want the best chances of getting work in your area and make some money go with PADI.
To renew your instructor status , only way to be sure is to call PADI.
I would think that they may require you to retake entire IDC. IE process.
Other training organizations may be less expensive,but most likely not get you any work and you will never get back what you put in.
I am an IDCS instructor here in NY and have multiple private class and group class every week.

There are many good agencies. Your agency choice depends on the shop you will be working with & their agency affiliations.

If you want to work in Key Largo, you will need to renew your PADI MSDT. Almost all shops here sell PADI courses.
What steps you need to accomplish that will depend on what PADI says after reviewing your file. It can range from repeating the IDC & IE or some remedial work/review with a CD. Its been a long time and standards change. I recommend a complete IDC. There are many Course Directors in Key Largo.

SDI is the fastest growing and most modern agency going. And i went with SDI because the economics were better for me. As for finding work, most of the major dive centers are SDI. feel free to PM me with questions.

Thanks to olly5050user, msalanaous and sheeper for responding. Yah, I think doing another IDC will probably be my only option. Have an email into PADI, will see if anything comes of that.

Don't necessarily agree that PADI is the only way to go here on Key Largo. Have been into quite a few shops that assure me that work is available, generally, regardless of your certifications. Plus, if it comes to brass tacks, I can always look into converting what I have back to PADI. I don't mind PADI, really, (tho they are falling in popularity), it's just they are so much more expensive than the others. For a non-profit org, you'd think they would be more competitive.

But, such is life. Thanks again to all who responded. Will try to update as I make my decisions.

Michael

What is this statement based on?
it's based on SDI programs i've seen at a number of dive centers.
Thru SDI i have more work than i can actually handle. SDI is the growth monster in the industry at the moment. And i have been EXTREMELY happy with the service and support from their world HQ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom