Laparoscopy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tm55417

Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it, one week before we are to leave for a two week vacation to Cozumel, my wife comes down with an appendicitis (damn that Murphy and his stupid law).

The surgeon performed a laparoscopy to remove the appendix and there were no complications. He feels our traveling next Saturday should not be a problem. I had to ask him the million dollar question though. "Will she be able to dive during the vacation?" His answer suprised me. He indicated that if she felt strong enough to travel, he didn't see any problem with diving. Obviously, we don't want to push it, but I'm sure she would like to dive if given the chance. There is no way we will push it, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this or if any Docs on here have an opinion.

Thanks
Tom

As long as the incision is healed and the sutures are removed there shouldn't be a problem. The issue is wound infection if the incision isn't healed and she gets in the sea water. She may be a little sore, but if you start out slow and shallow and slowly progress, she'll be able to figure out what she can tolerate.

In one week? I couldn't hardly move for two, let alone exercise, after I had my gall bladder removed via laparoscopy.

Perhaps I'm a wuss!

del_mo:
In one week? I couldn't hardly move for two, let alone exercise, after I had my gall bladder removed via laparoscopy.

Perhaps I'm a wuss!

I wouldn't call you a wuss. Gall bladder is a little different than appendix as far as surgical removal. There usually is more soreness after a gall bladder removal.

del_mo:

Perhaps I'm a wuss!
You would have really enjoyed the post operative recuperation if you'd had your gall bladder removed the old fashioned way :wink:

I had knee arthroscopy 4 weeks before shore diving in Bonaire. I had no problems in the water. Entry/exit was a bit tricky with the weight but I imagine boat diving would be easier. Maybe even have your wife slip off her BCD and tank before climbing onto the ladder just to avoid straining the incision sites. Of course, use common sense and just enjoy the beach if there is pain... I was told by the surgeon that emergency medical coverage abroad will probably not cover post-op problems.

gasgirl:
I had knee arthroscopy 4 weeks before shore diving in Bonaire. I had no problems in the water. Entry/exit was a bit tricky with the weight but I imagine boat diving would be easier. Maybe even have your wife slip off her BCD and tank before climbing onto the ladder just to avoid straining the incision sites. Of course, use common sense and just enjoy the beach if there is pain... I was told by the surgeon that emergency medical coverage aboard will probably not cover post-op problems.

Yeah, that's pretty much what the surgeon told her today at her follow-up. If she feels up to, there should be no reason not to, just use common sense. At this point, we are just relieved to be going. We are also happy that the appendix decided to flare while we were still home and not while on vacation.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Tom

With all due respect i don't think that non-diving surgeons are fully aware how heavy the diving gear is on land. Keep in mind that in order to lift the diving gear you need to increase your intra-abdominal pressure (Always that pressure #@#*!^#$%#!!!) which might eventually cause enough physical stress in early post surgery stage to cause the wound dehiscention. Only one week after the appendectomy is a bit too early i'd say. If you already decided to do it, at least help your wife to take the gear on and off in the water. Take care.

diving doc

Normal doctors will not be aware that scar tissue decreases diffusion and areas of decreased and increased blood flow have been identified as factors in DCS due to the alteration in N2 off-gassing.
When I had my gall-bladder out my doctor recommended avoidance of deep dives for at least 30 days.

I can't help but laugh out loud anytime i hear about 'normal doctors vs diving doctors'. I mean is it really that obvious that we are insane? :)

diving doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom