Lap swimming programs and misc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

likelite

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks, I've been swimming a mile 3x per week to stay in shape and make sure I can catch up to the boat when out in the current. Anyone got programs to share other than up, back, up, back?

i bought some swim gloves and a pull buoy. Also some small lap flippers (not the monster TwinJets I use in the ocean).

I'm noticing some difference already, tho I just switched to laps in a 100m pool and for some reason my neck is really sore. I've been trying to make sure I breathe on both sides, since I favor my right (broke my left elbow a couple years back and it's definitely my weaker side).

I started swimming laps about 3 years ago to get myself in better shape for diving. I'd been swimming 2500-3000 yards a day, Mon-Fri, and thought I was in pretty decent shape. In January of this year the Y where I swim started a Masters Swimming program and I decided I'd try it. It was a pretty humbling experience, but it's also been a lot of fun. I practice with them Mon., Wed, & Fri., and still swim laps on Tues & Thurs. There's a different workout at each practice. Sometimes distance, sometimes sprints, a lot of stroke drill. I've improved my stroke efficiency considerably.
I see on your profile you live in Nashville. I found three Master groups in your area:

Nashville - EXCL EXCEL Aquatics Masters
Southeastern LMSC
Williamson County Indoor Sports Complex (Brentwood, TN)
Nashville, Tennessee
Lap Swim / Workout Times: Monday thru Saturday - check website or call for times
Contacts: Ashley Whitney coachashley@excelaquatics.org
Web Site: http://www.excelaquatics.org

Nashville - MCMS Music City Masters
Southeastern LMSC
Nashville, Tennessee
Lap Swim / Workout Times: W/o's 5-6:45am
Contacts: Mary Lee Watson (615)595-6973 or mcms@edge.net
Record Last Updated: 6/10/99

Nashville - Nashville Aquatic Club Masters
Southeastern LMSC
Tracy Caulkins Pool
222 25th Ave N. Nashville, Tennessee
Lap Swim / Workout Times: M,T,Th,F 6:30-7:30am
Contacts: (615)321-3510
Web Site: http://www.swimnac.com
Miscellaneous Info: All levels of swimmers are welcome
Record Last Updated: 11/19/02

If you're swimming a mile, three times a week, you're more than ready to give this a try!

Be careful with swim gloves and hand paddles for lap swimming. Over time and distance, you can put extra strain on your shoulder joints. I used to use the hand paddles a lot of years ago until one of my shoulders started twinging - I did some research, talked to a lot of people, and the consensus was swim laps bare-handed.
Just my two cents - I still see lots of people with gloves and paddles.

Agreed with the paddles/gloves. You can use them for limited sets, but they will lead to injury if used al the time. Zoomers (the fins) are also good for trainin, but don't use them all the time

Best swim workouts are in "sets" with certain distances at certain intervals. For example, 6 x 100 (6 100 yard or meter sets) on 2:00 - means leave every 2 minutes. If you do it in 1:30, you get 30 seconds rest, etc. Or do each repeat on 10 seconds rest, e.g.

While swimming distances (say 2K at a stretch) can be good, IF you have good technique, if your technique falls apart all you are doing is ingraining bad habits. Foe example, your neck is probably sore because you turn your head to breathe. You should be rotating your body as if on an axis, and your chin should closely folow your shoulder out of the water/.

Remember, swimming is 20% (or less) power, and 80% technique. I'd suggest Total Immersion if you haven't had any training or coaching.

Keep it up. Swimming is the best

Chris

Speaking as someone who had to struggle for a long time to get to the point where I can swim 300 yards without stopping to pass a swim test, let me quote Eric Cartman...

"I hate you guys. I really really hate you guys."

:wink:

By the way, I second the recommendation of Total Immersion. That book made the difference for me, and now it is a lot easier than it has been my entire life. It really is all about technique.

Back
Top Bottom