Lake Pleasant Dive Flag Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"ARS 5-347. Interference with navigation or launching areas

A. No person shall unreasonably or unnecessarily interfere with other watercraft, with the free and proper use of the waterways of the state or with areas used for launching watercraft onto such waterways. Anchoring or swimming in heavily traveled channels or launching areas shall constitute such interference."

I guess we need to think about some definitions here. I don't think "launching areas" are limited to designated boat ramps. Desert Tortoise road has a lot of boats launched along it's length depending on the level of the lake. Beismeyer Point - same thing. Vista Point; not so much. Spill way? Oh yeah. You can't swing a cat between the 10-lane and the west side of BP without hitting a boat or jet ski. These are all popular shore diving locations. I certainly can interpret the law to mean ANY area where launching a boat is popular.

And for the record; I HAVE seen LEOs ticketing boaters and jet skiers. So it does happen. Saying they don't is just wrong or disingenuous.

I keep getting roped back into this...

I hope this is the last time I "Bite"

Jeff

It's like watching a train wreck. You're horrified but you can't look away.:D

And I second the "Bite away". We need a voice of reason here.

ARS 5-347. Interference with navigation or launching areas

A. No person shall unreasonably or unnecessarily interfere with other watercraft, with the free and proper use of the waterways of the state or with areas used for launching watercraft onto such waterways. Anchoring or swimming in heavily traveled channels or launching areas shall constitute such interference.

Ok folks the keys are in bold. THe first line refers to other watercarft it says so!
Our use for swimming and diving is a proper use so still no problem.
Heavily travel channels are marked they are not just a matter of where boaters decide to go and I know for a fact that we as divers are very careful to not interfere and we do not swim in these areas we dive at depths that avoid interference. Launching areas are those designated not just where you can launch.

The reality is that a number of us are unwilling to leave this issue be. The rest can get on the bus or get left behind.
This isn't going away.

So what, other than posting on Scubaboard, are you doing about it? Have you called the MCSO when somebody rolled up on your float? What happened?

It seemed like an informative thread at first, but now has morphed in to something akin to several folks wrestling with a greased pig. Only in this case, the pig seems to enjoy it.

Let hope the bus you mentioned goes away and comes back when it has something productive to show- not when the bus wants to drive in circles and debate the wording of laws. Otherwise this can't be taken seriously.

I just thought I would mention this:

If you think Pleasant is bad, you should see Lake Mohave (Cabinsite). Very confined and very crowded. Cabinsite used to be a dedicated swim and scuba area. However, due to overflow from the main launching points, they opened up to launch boats and jetskis.

We were there yesterday (Wednesday) and it was just as crowded/congested as Lake Pleasant on a Saturday. Stopped in at the local dive shop and they said the weekends were insanity! Pure mayhem. From the sound of it, the swimmers are worse than the jetskis (ie. moving stuff, sitting on your tarps, etc.)

AND ...

On Monday, a woman, ascending on her dive flag was hit in the head (albeit at a very slow speed - so it was more of a bump) by a Jetski. We actually ran into her and her husband (pardon the pun) returning tanks at the dive shop. They walked in shortly after the guys at the store told us the story.

Although, I will say, while we were diving, there were a lot of JetSkis and they were very courteous to us and our flag.

So what, other than posting on Scubaboard, are you doing about it? Have you called the MCSO when somebody rolled up on your float? What happened?

It seemed like an informative thread at first, but now has morphed in to something akin to several folks wrestling with a greased pig. Only in this case, the pig seems to enjoy it.

Let hope the bus you mentioned goes away and comes back when it has something productive to show- not when the bus wants to drive in circles and debate the wording of laws. Otherwise this can't be taken seriously.

A number of people have both PMed me and emailed me with their support and we are drafting a letter to release to both MCSO and the news media with our observations and concerns. Stating how what we believe the laws of AZ apply to the situations and requesting for action to be taken on this issue.
If anyone feels they can contribute to this please feel free to PM or email me. I will continue to keep the name of those people private unless you give permission to use your name.
Apparently many people on both sides just don't want their peers to know their position and are apprehensive to make a statement.
So it seems I've been informally been made a spokesperson of sorts. Personally I don't like the position it puts me in but I do feel strongly that doing nothing is just waiting for a accident to happen and that the laws that exist are in our favor on this issue.
Still if anyone else would like to take control and move forward spearheading the issue I'd be more than happy to step aside and lend support.

Beware what you wish for because it might happen. The safest and easiest, and least expensive way of protecting divers is to remove your rights. limiting where you can dive might just end being able to dive where you want.

I agree with you 110% John. The squeaky can get greased whether you like it or not. So a little boring in Tulum tonight? I bet it's not so bad down at the Thai restaurant, at least not the view ;-)

Our safety is our responsibility. Not the LEOs. Not Sherriff Joe's.

Steve...we don't need to worry about Sherriff Joe as he is too busy chasing illegals and finding new ways to get in the media's eye...:rofl3:

ARS 5-347. Interference with navigation or launching areas

Heavily travel channels are marked they are not just a matter of where boaters decide to go and I know for a fact that we as divers are very careful to not interfere and we do not swim in these areas we dive at depths that avoid interference. Launching areas are those designated not just where you can launch.

Have you ever been out on one of Arizona's lakes?
Heavily traveled channels are NOT generally marked!
Reefs, rocks hazzards and no wake/no boat are the only areas consistanly marked.
And its not just your body that can be a hazzard, it can also be your float/flag and rope.

Jeff

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom