Lake Pleasant conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the touch of surface video. Are you planning on heading out this week to see if it's been closed?

Calling would be easier...unless you get someone who hasn't gotten the new memo saying it's still open and they tell you it's closed. :wink:

Did a slew of diving at Lake Pleasant this weekend. Dove off Desert Tortoise Road.

Conditions were pretty good. Even at 50 feet, we had decent visibility (10'-ish). 64 degrees. At shallower depths, we had 20-30' visibility.

Congrats to our new Rescue, AOW and U/W Navigator divers. We also got to dive with Jeff, nice to meet you.

Thanks for the fun (and dive-filled) weekend!

OK ... Now for the bad news. We were out at Desert Tortoise Road and I have never seen it so crowded with so many rude people. I had a "discussion" with one woman who wanted to put her Jet Skis in the water next to five dive flags. When I told her she needed to stay away, she got all flustered. She moved. We had a sailboat capsize five feet away from our dive flag as our divers were ascending. The "campers" and "day bathers" left trash EVERYWHERE. However, from an entertainment perspective, we almost had an opportunity to clean up the gene pool. There were many people "cliff diving" into six feet of water. No accidents ... lots of stupidity.

We need a dedicated scuba area!

jcf

/////

Hi all,
My friend Howard and I are planning a morning dive on Saturday April 14th at Lake Pleasant. I have dove several times at Desert Tortise, but nowhere else. I have been reading on here that scorpion bay may be shutting down to divers. If it is still open next weekend, what is better or just different about it than Desert Tortise. I have also heard about dirty shirt, but not much. Any advice (of that I'm sure there is no shortage) of where to go? Anyone want to act as a "dive master" on a new spot for us?
Thanks, and looking forward to meeting all of you regulars,
Eric Ford

revrikki:
Hi all,
My friend Howard and I are planning a morning dive on Saturday April 14th at Lake Pleasant. I have dove several times at Desert Tortise, but nowhere else. I have been reading on here that scorpion bay may be shutting down to divers. If it is still open next weekend, what is better or just different about it than Desert Tortise. I have also heard about dirty shirt, but not much. Any advice (of that I'm sure there is no shortage) of where to go? Anyone want to act as a "dive master" on a new spot for us?
Thanks, and looking forward to meeting all of you regulars,
Eric Ford
Whereas DT is just a gradual slope for the most part, max depth 35-40'. Scorpion Bay is a dropoff from about 10-15' to about 60' at the base of the wall right now with overhangs, different countour, fairly free from boat and pwc traffic. During this time of year there is a good amount of fish. If you haven't been there before there is plenty to keep you amused. Some entanglement hazards so bring cutting tools, backups are a good idea and a dive flag jik. If it's open I might be there participating in a rescue class that day, so I can't play "tour guide". See my video in post #403.

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Whereas DT is just a gradual slope for the most part, max depth 35-40'. Scorpion Bay is a dropoff from about 10-15' to about 60' at the base of the wall right now with overhangs, different countour, fairly free from boat and pwc traffic. During this time of year there is a good amount of fish. If you haven't been there before there is plenty to keep you amused. Some entanglement hazards so bring cutting tools, backups are a good idea and a dive flag jik. If it's open I might be there participating in a rescue class that day, so I can't play "tour guide". See my video in post #403.

-Garrett

Thanks Garrett, I looked at your video and it is very cool. The wall looks like a ton of fun. Maybe we'll check out scorpion bay to see if it's still open, and if not heat back over to desert tortise. I would also like to check out some other local lake. Maybe Saguaro, or another East valley spot. Anyone have any news if any other lakes have decent viz right now? Thanks again
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom