Lake Mead Info / Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I are headed to Las Vegas and wanted to dive Lake meade while we were in the area.

Anyone have any suggestions on where one can dive with out a boat? I understand the lake is down - is shore entry possible?

Can you rent a boat in the area?

Any of you local going to be diving Friday and wouldn't mind a couple of tag-alongs?

There is a scuba area at Lake Meade. Just follow the dive flags. However, with the water level down as low as it is, you won't see much other than flat sand. I don't even thing the "fish habitats" are underwater anymore. The other shore accessible areas around the lake are usually crowded with people fishing and not a good idea to try. If you want some decent dives, head an hour south of Mead to Lake Mohave. There is a site called Cabinsite Cove that has some decent diving including a bus, van, and motor boat. Check out the Southwest dive sites link on my website (in my sig line) for information on diving both of these.

"Scuba Park" is predominantly above water now. Boulder beach just sucks. Average vis there is 15'. Average depth is 35'. Go across the Hoover Dam about 3 miles, you will see a small bridge with a dirt road. Turn left on said dirt road. Go about 5 miles down to the water. Average vis is 30+ ft. Depth to 130'. EASY shore entry. It is called Kingman Wash. Google it. It is in Arizona.

Thanks Great Kazoo! Your post is very helpful. I am thinking of going diving when in Vegas in April so this comes at a good time for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom