Near drowning - Lake Union, Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2:
Wait what? No scooters at Edmonds? Or am I misunderstanding.
That is correct. Bruce says no.
The Edmonds city ordinance says "no underwater vehicles" but it was written in the 1970s when scooters didn't exist and it's hard to know what the legislative intent actually was. Presumably no submersibles?

Bruce doesnt know anymore than the police do, and they've never ticketed anyone for a scooter or for diving solo - except one solo diver who ended up getting the fire department rescue squad called out for being "lost" 10-12+ years ago.

In either case, fly under the radar and it's no big deal. Flaunt it and act like a d*ck and you may get spanked with a ticket.

Diving on the Irene within spitting distance of the Seattle Police dock may be a bit flagrant, though.
You're bigger risk is probably getting electrocuted by leaking shore power near a dock or ingesting a floatie that drifts by.

The Edmonds city ordinance says "no underwater vehicles" but it was written in the 1970s when scooters didn't exist and it's hard to know what the legislative intent actually was. Presumably no submersibles?

Bruce doesnt know anymore than the police do, and they've never ticketed anyone for a scooter or for diving solo - except one solo diver who ended up getting the fire department rescue squad called out for being "lost" 10-12+ years ago.

In either case, fly under the radar and it's no big deal. Flaunt it and act like a d*ck and you may get spanked with a ticket.
Considering how many people let their dogs shiit on the beach, yeah, you have to be stupid or just unlucky. I've talked to Bruce about it though. He does have some influence in the rules.

That is correct. Bruce says no.

Hm. Well they should make that clearer (says the guy who innocently went around the entire park with his scooter and had a great time).

City of Edmonds has no regulations against it:

Only buried on this page does it mention it:

Doesn't seem to be a regulation, just a request.

Is this a buddy activity? What's your methodology?
No, I haven't had a real buddy in years and I am not going to try a practice drop with a boat pick diver. I simply reach as if I needed to for the practice and muscle memory. I often fumble the first grab and repeat,

g2:
Yes it does:

5.32.060 Underwater park regulations.​

In addition to the regulations applicable to all parks as set forth in the Edmonds City Code, the following additional regulations shall be applicable to underwater parks and it is unlawful for any person to violate the terms thereof.

A. Boating and Submersible Vehicles. Subject to written permission as provided below, it is unlawful for any person to water ski, operate any type of boat or watercraft of every kind and description, including, but not limited to boats propelled manually, by wind or motor driven, over or within any underwater park or delineated ingress or egress area into or away from said underwater park, or within 200 feet in any direction of said underwater park or area delineated for ingress or egress into or away from said underwater park; provided:

1. Nonsubmersible paddle boards, rubber rafts or inner tubes used as safety flotation devices by scuba divers or free divers shall not be prohibited; and

2. Inflatable rafts or boats propelled manually may be used for instructional purposes only during classes conducted by an instructor certified by agencies set forth in ECC 5.32.070(D) herein.

g2:
Hm. Well they should make that clearer (says the guy who innocently went around the entire park with his scooter and had a great time).

Chapter 5.32 PARK REGU

5.32.005 B and 5.32.060 A, exclude any motorized craft of any type, regardless of description. Sounds like a scooter could easily be included.

I would, of course, ignore it and play stupid, although some say it is not an act, when caught, apologize and retreat. In my experience there will be a warning and one might not want to repeat the transgression too soon.

5.32.005 B and 5.32.060 A, exclude any motorized craft of any type, regardless of description. Sounds like a scooter could easily be included.
A scooter is included as motorized craft. Everyone local knows it.
I would, of course, ignore it and play stupid, although some say it is not an act, when caught, apologize and retreat. In my experience there will be a warning and one might not want to repeat the transgression too soon.
That's a gamble that I wouldn't take. If you really want to get away with it, anchor your boat outside the park and scooter in. I'd recommend against starting from Marina beach as you have to go past the ferry terminal (Beach Parks).

Or just do the sensible thing and do multiple dives until you see the whole park. Bruce Higgins has done an amazing job over the decades, hence the trail system is named after him.

Considering how many people let their dogs shiit on the beach, yeah, you have to be stupid or just unlucky. I've talked to Bruce about it though. He does have some influence in the rules.
Bruce is not a peace officer in Edmonds or anywhere else and he sure as heck isn't the City Attorney. So he's neither writing the rules (which far predate the park being named for him), writing tickets, nor is he responding to any contested tickets in court. This has been debated ad nauseum on NW Diver forums a decade ago and there STILL has never been anyone claiming they were cited for using a scooter there. Pretty sure if you don't flaunt it or act like an ass you're fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom