Lake 288 closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was told that yesterday, Sunday, was the last day that Lake 288 would be open. Supposedly an instructor was told this by the owner/management when he got there Saturday with students.

Anyone else heard this or know anything about it?

I sure hope not as I was planning on going out there this weekend? Are there any other options besides the Blue Lagoon? How are things at the place in Freeport?

He said he is in the process of trying to keep it opened for the upcoming weekend. If I hear anything solid I will post it.

Dave

Wow! I thought 288 was supposed to be the hot new spot in the Houston area. Am I confused? Didn't they just sink a lot of cool stuff and host a grand opening and all? Or am I confused?

Dee, will be out of town this weekend but post when you are going to be there. Will try and make it out.

Rich...

Another thing you and K-Valve missed by not attending the Swamper gathering... The place you are talking about is Mammoth ...

Have a nice day

Since the cat's out of the bag.

The "official" story is that the owner's family did not want to renew the insurance for the upcoming coverage period. So they have decided to put it up for sale.

The operators are hoping that someone will buy the property quickly so that the lake can remain open. The asking price depending on who you're talking to is either 250K or 350K. The owner's are reputedly willing to take much less. Several apparently wealthy divers have made inquiries into the purchase already.

I figured it had something to do with insurance. I'm not surprised. Good luck getting anyone other than a diver to buy it in this economy. There is a sign across the street about a new housing development in summer of 2008. I dont see any action yet.

Since the cat's out of the bag.

The "official" story is that the owner's family did not want to renew the insurance for the upcoming coverage period. So they have decided to put it up for sale.

The operators are hoping that someone will buy the property quickly so that the lake can remain open. The asking price depending on who you're talking to is either 250K or 350K. The owner's are reputedly willing to take much less. Several apparently wealthy divers have made inquiries into the purchase already.
So it looks like they will definitely not be open this weekend then. :(

Back
Top Bottom