Lake 288 closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How come nobody is mentioning the other local Houston area dive option. There is a fourth place besides the 3 mentioned (Blue Lagoon, 288 & Mammoth)?
Twin Lakes Scuba Park is in Manvel. Have not been there but it is local.

How come nobody is mentioning the other local Houston area dive option. There is a fourth place besides the 3 mentioned (Blue Lagoon, 288 & Mammoth)?
Twin Lakes Scuba Park is in Manvel. Have not been there but it is local.

About two years ago they developed an issue with nearby construction and the water level dropped too low to be diveable. Nobody was going there, if it was even open. Just recently I heard those issues had been resolved and the water level was returning. I don't know if they have reopened yet, if so I haven't seen any recent dive reports.

About two years ago they developed an issue with nearby construction and the water level dropped too low to be diveable. Nobody was going there, if it was even open. Just recently I heard those issues had been resolved and the water level was returning. I don't know if they have reopened yet, if so I haven't seen any recent dive reports.
Well we should hear something from Dee since she said in this thread that she was going to Twin Lakes on Friday.

I was out at Twin Lakes this weekend. Talked to Mike, the owner. The pulpmill that was draining the water table has now closed and the water IS rising in the the lake. The park is looking really good, showers have been added, nice cement slabs under the covered picnic tables. But Man...those stairs! Great cement stairs with sturdy handrails down to the ramps that go to the floating dock. I have close to 200 dives in TL and this was like starting all over! All the 'landmarks' UW have changed. You really have to watch your compass to keep track of where you are....the edges you keep in sight go in and out and around...no more straight N-S-E-W. Vis varies from 5-6ft on the south side to white out on the north side, still in that same area where it was always sort of 'smoky'.

It was really sad, we were there Fri and Sat and saw maybe a total of a dozen divers, counting the 3 of us! That's just pitiful. Mike has worked really hard to keep the park open while he had no control over the water level. I really do hope divers start going back out there and supporting the place. We need local dive spots too bad to let one go totally unused. The stairs are my only problem with diving out there, my knees just can't hold up with the extra weight of the gear but as long as I have someone to help me get it up and down, I'll be back!

Dee

Name the date(strong preference for Sundays) and I will come out. Also off work every other Friday. Let me know.

Mark

Dee and Mark,

I am interested. Please let me know if you go.

Thanks,

Vanessar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom