Labor Day Diving...or not...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Maybe this should have gone in the whine and cheese forum but the subject is, unfortunately, a big part of diving.

The Great Lakes did it to me again.

After spending about $300 on gas, spending several evenings mixing gas, checking gear, assembling a new set of doubles and driving 6 hours...

The weekends diving was canceled due to weather. Yesterday morning things were socked in with fog and about the time the fog was to lift the forcast was for the wind to pick up and build all day. There was a small craft advisory and the skipper thumbed it.

Now I have 4 sets of doubles full of gas that isn't good for much around here so if I wanted to dive locally today I'd have to discharge that $300 worth of gas into the atmosphere. Not likely.

At least half and maybe more like two thirds the total dives that I have ever planned in the Great Lakes or the ocean have been blown out.

So...what do you do when you're all dressed up and don't have anyplace to go?

Yesterday we had breakfast with the other poor folks who had planned on diving but weren't. My wife and I spent a little time walking on the beach and then hit the road. On the way home we stopped in the Chcago area to get a sandwich at this great place I know and spent a few hours with my parents. I may live in Indiana but Chicago is the place to go for food!

It was a good day but it wasn't the spectacular wreck diving that we had planned.

Maybe I'll mix up some stages and take all this stuff to Missouri next weekend and dive a cave that's an...ok...depth for the gas I have. At least wind shouldn't be a problem there.

MikeFerrara:
Maybe this should have gone in the whine and cheese forum but the subject is, unfortunately, a big part of diving.

The Great Lakes did it to me again.

After spending about $300 on gas, spending several evenings mixing gas, checking gear, assembling a new set of doubles and driving 6 hours...

The weekends diving was canceled due to weather. Yesterday morning things were socked in with fog and about the time the fog was to lift the forcast was for the wind to pick up and build all day. There was a small craft advisory and the skipper thumbed it.

Now I have 4 sets of doubles full of gas that isn't good for much around here so if I wanted to dive locally today I'd have to discharge that $300 worth of gas into the atmosphere. Not likely.

At least half and maybe more like two thirds the total dives that I have ever planned in the Great Lakes or the ocean have been blown out.

So...what do you do when you're all dressed up and don't have anyplace to go?

Not sure what's on your side of lake, but on east side of Ontario, if the lake is too funky, you can drive north and dive the St. Lawrence.

We spent 4 days in Tobermory (not on the St. Lawrence :cool:) and ended up with 3 dives for the same reason.

The rest of the time we mostly just hung out around the harbor and watched the boats not go out.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Not sure what's on your side of lake, but on east side of Ontario, if the lake is too funky, you can drive north and dive the St. Lawrence.

We spent 4 days in Tobermory (not on the St. Lawrence :cool:) and ended up with 3 dives for the same reason.

The rest of the time we mostly just hung out around the harbor and watched the boats not go out.

Terry

We were at two Rivers...on the west side of the Lake.

Sorry about your dives being cancelled. Hmmm, which sandwhich shop did you go to? I'm in Chicago and I agree the food is great!! Always, on the lookout for new places to eat.

MikeFerrara:
On the way home we stopped in the Chcago area to get a sandwich at this great place I know and spent a few hours with my parents. I may live in Indiana but Chicago is the place to go for food!

Mike, you're not alone. Seems like a lot of Labor Day dives were cancelled. Here in Southern California the high seas from Hurricane Howard arrived on Sunday, and we had to cancel dives both yesterday and today. Drove an hour each way, two days in a row, to find 6-8 foot waves breaking on shore. Add that to what the folks in Florida are going thru, and it seems like the weather just ain't on our side this weekend.

All diving off NC coast was pretty much cancelled also. I ended up in the local quarry (that's another story...). Did anyone get in a decent dive this week-end?

mccabejc:
Add that to what the folks in Florida are going thru, and it seems like the weather just ain't on our side this weekend.

Yes, Our dives were canceled but our homes and our lives were never in danger.

Missing dives seems like a small problem huh?

Back
Top Bottom