LA County Advanced Diver Program (ADP)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jewey4:
The whole bailouts thing is kind of freaking me out. The pool should be fine but I hope its not 30 feet down in the ocean!

Don't worry, there will be no ocean SCUBA DNR or bailout. There will be a bailout in the pool later in the course when we do advanced pool skills. You will also be taught skindiving skills including skindiving safety.

Jewey4, if you have trouble clearing your ears, let the instructors know. The pool bail-out is really not difficult to do (it's just difficult to do gracefully :wink: ), but it *does* require you to be able to clear your ears very quickly.

Serenity:
Jewey4, if you have trouble clearing your ears, let the instructors know. The pool bail-out is really not difficult to do (it's just difficult to do gracefully :wink: ), but it *does* require you to be able to clear your ears very quickly.

I don't seem to have a problem in the pool with clearing. It's only when I get deeper than 15 feet that I just have to go a little slower. I'm not too worried about it. Since I know its not our first skill we'll be practicing, I can work up to it!

I assume the bail-out goes something like this:

1. Start with reg mounted on tank, and tank strapped into BC
2. Drop BC/tank (and weight belt if not integrated BC), mask & fins on bottom of pool
3. Swim down to gear, find regulator and start sucking on it.
4. Put on mask (and clear) so you can see
5. Put on BC/tank
6. Voila

Tried it in the pool last night, and it was pretty easy. Although I cheated a bit by putting on swim goggles before I dove underwater (so I could see and not lose my contacts :D ).

Is that about the way the bail-out goes? I hope they don't throw in any crazy sealions gnawing at your elbow or anything...

Bailout:

You should be weighted neutral at 13 feet. From edge of pool at deep end, with reg and bc mounted on cylinder:
1. put fins on left arm using the fin straps
2. place weight belt on left arm or over cylinder between valve and bc
3. put mask on left arm using mask strap
4. grasp bc by collar or handle (if you have one)
5. stand at pool edge with feet slightly over lip
6. take three slow deep breaths emphasizing the exhale
7. equalize and take a giant stride looking at the horizon while swinging the cylinder out
8. keep toes points and settle to bottom while pulling cylinder up to your chest
if you have problems sinking, exhale (you can hold your breath for 30 seconds? ) :wink:
10. assume sitting position, clear regulator and equalize again
11. don equipment

There are a few variations of this that may or may not work better for you. This will be taught during the advanced pool session later in the course.

BTW, you shouldn't try this without an instructor. :wink:

mccabejc:
Although I cheated a bit by putting on swim goggles before I dove underwater (so I could see and not lose my contacts :D ).

So, did you remove the goggles before putting on your mask? I have a picture of you with the mask over the goggles, but I'm thinking (hoping) that's not right....

mccabejc:
Tried it in the pool last night, and it was pretty easy.

Well, for you maybe they can start it out with your gear scattered around the bottom of the pool, and have it camouflaged to make it challenging. :D

I'll have a BP/W so part of my weighting will be on my back, and the rest on a belt. It might take some juggling so I don't drop one of them and float to the surface like a cork. :11: That makes me wonder, can we touch the bottom, or does the whole thing have to be done neutrally buoyant? :wink:

radinator:
I'll have a BP/W so part of my weighting will be on my back, and the rest on a belt. It might take some juggling so I don't drop one of them and float to the surface like a cork. :11: That makes me wonder, can we touch the bottom, or does the whole thing have to be done neutrally buoyant? :wink:

I have the same, or similar gear, I think with a wetsuit and no weight belt I should be about +8 pounds at 13 feet (not counting the effect of fresh water). So I guess we better not let go of our weight belts or you will have to swim down again against your bouancy. The BP/W even with an empty tank should be -3 lbs so it will always sink as long as the bladder is empty.

I thought yesterday Jim was going to practice this by jumping out of a airplane. I hope he will show me his decompression table for that.

A.

mccabejc:
Jason, when you coming back out for a visit?

Well my coop board did not approve my buyer after a six month deal so we have decided to stay a little longer. Plus, work has been very steady for me lately here so that's a plus. We may try and move out to LA again in a year or two.

As for a visit Jim, maybe next year some time. I still have tons of college buddies living there so I hope to return soon. My wife and I really loved it in LA. I mean REALLY loved it.

It had all the positives of a a big city but still felt like FLorida (in some ways) where we grew up. Best of both worlds so to speak. And did I mention NO WINTER HELL? This last winter here in NYC kicked our *****eS. We hate winter here!

ANyway, have a blast and keep us updated on ADP training. We will be reading...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom