LA County Advanced Diver Program (ADP)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooo, kayak diving !!!! We were just talking about that last weekend, when the ocean was flat and glassy and perfect for that kind of thing. Now, by "bail outs" do you mean we'll be doing some SERIOUS "altitude diving" :D ??

mccabejc:
Ooo, kayak diving !!!! We were just talking about that last weekend, when the ocean was flat and glassy and perfect for that kind of thing. Now, by "bail outs" do you mean we'll be doing some SERIOUS "altitude diving" :D ??

Now, now, we're trying to keep the tests relevant to scuba diving, right? But how cool would THAT be? :D

I meant scuba bail-outs, done in the pool. Jump in the deep end of the pool with all your gear in your arms, and put it on underwater. Believe me, you get to know your gear veeerrry well after doing this skill a few times. It's essentially underwater BC/fin/mask/regulator/weightbelt remove and replace, all of which you probably did sequentially in your OW class. But in ADP you do it all at once, and its a form of task loading to help students gain confidence in dealing with gear problems underwater. And it's pretty cool. Plus if you're ever on a dive boat and it starts going down... :wink:

Serenity:
I meant scuba bail-outs, done in the pool. Jump in the deep end of the pool with all your gear in your arms, and put it on underwater. Believe me, you get to know your gear veeerrry well after doing this skill a few times. It's essentially underwater BC/fin/mask/regulator/weightbelt remove and replace, all of which you probably did sequentially in your OW class. But in ADP you do it all at once, and its a form of task loading to help students gain confidence in dealing with gear problems underwater. And it's pretty cool. Plus if you're ever on a dive boat and it starts going down... :wink:
We called this a ditch and recovery when I did my LA County training in '85. We did it in the ocean at 30 feet as part of our checkout. I remember being able to keep my fins on though, so that I could swim my 1/4 inch farmer john back down to 30 feet to put my gear back on.

Christian

son-of-a-gun I read through the whole thread hoping some one would give some first hand info about the content of the course. Kayak diving? I wouldn't think a kayak was big enough to dive in. Can you even get your face all the way under?

What ever happened to a member we had going by the name LAcounty anyway? I used to like to chat with him about training standards.

It sounds like a good class from what LITTLE I've heard (hint hint). Compared to others on the market, any advanced class that makes you spend seruous time in the water is head and shoulders above the rest. $500 is nothing for a good class. I've paid more than that for wambamthankyoumamgivethisguyacard classes.

Mike,
I really don't know much about it, other than its reputation, which is a good one. It's known to be strenuous - probablly the best advanced class you can take, without going pro. It's what the "Master Scuba Diver" training SHOULD be (at least, IMO). From my limited understanding, it covers different, and varied, topics in advanced diving - from more advanced rescue situations, to things like rocky entries, kayak diving (obviously), etc... I, too, would be interested in more info, though. Does anyone have a link to their website?

headhunter:
We called this a ditch and recovery when I did my LA County training in '85. We did it in the ocean at 30 feet as part of our checkout. I remember being able to keep my fins on though, so that I could swim my 1/4 inch farmer john back down to 30 feet to put my gear back on.

Christian

That one they save for their instructor program :wink:. Did you go through the LA County instructor program or did you do the ditch and recovery in ADP? I know the ADP program used to be a lot more rigorous in years past.

Kayak diving! That's awesome. I bought a tandem dive kayak a few months ago from Malibu kayakers but haven't had a chance to dive with it yet. It's a sit on top kayak that has a groove in the front and back that fits a tank on each and the whole interior of the kayak is hollow and watertight so you can store whatever you want in it. Took it out over the 4th of July for some smooth paddling but no diving. That would be great if I could practice with mine if they don't mind a tandem one.

The whole bailouts thing is kind of freaking me out. The pool should be fine but I hope its not 30 feet down in the ocean! I have a hard time staying down without weights or just free-diving in general without air. I can only skin dive a few feet holding my breath in which I either start having trouble equalizing or start floating up to the surface. My boyfriend ruptured his ear drum in our open water class just from the skin dive in the pool. He has no problem equalizing with scuba but we find it much harder to do when you're just holding your breath and going head first in the water. That's one I'll need a few practices on.

jewey4:
Victoria Park is located at 419 E. 192nd Street in Carson, CA 90746. It's right by the 110 and 91 freeways. I actually just called over there this morning and they said that this Sunday is just orientation and lectures - so no gear required. I'll bring my suit just in case but I'm pretty sure we're not getting in the pool. The lady I talked to said it starts at 8 am but that we should always plan on being early. Not sure how long it'll go though.

mccabejc- where did you read about the physical requirements? Are there any more? I better time myself tonight!

No gear required for Sunday 7/10.

7/10 Schedule
Registration 8:00 AM
Welcome/Introductions 9:00 AM
Team Meetings 11:00 AM
Lunch 12:00 PM
History of Diving 1:00 PM
History of L.A. Co. 3:00 PM
Dismissal 3:30 PM

FOG for 7/16-17
7/16 Schedule
Pool 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Lunch 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Intro to Beach Diving 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
USN Dive Tables 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM

7/17 Schedule
Ocean - Vet's Park 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Lunch 1:00 PM -

The course is challenging and will push your limits both physically and mentally. It is also a lot of fun! In answer to the physical requirements, don't worry this isn't boot camp. :wink:

Any more questions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom