Kudos to the Ginnie Staff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is a post I placed on another char board I thought I would copy it here because it is the right thing to do. The topic is regarding the Intro diver and single cylinders.

Kudos to Ginnie Springs Staff,

The staff at Ginnie have done nothing wrong in telling Intro-to-cave divers that they cannot use doubles unless they are in possession of a signed waiver by their instructor.

Ginnie is not a facility that is public, they are private and as such they have the right to impose any restriction they deem necessary. In this case they have decided to go with the S&P of a few agencies and impose the limits as governed by those agencies as their own. To them this is a legality concern. They pay the insurance bill. We often take for granted the use of such facilities, a use that we could soon not have.

For what it is worth I have enclosed a copy of the standards from NACD that clearly show that a Intro Cave diver is to dive a single after certification at this level of training.

7. CAVE DIVES:
Intro to Cave diver certification is based on satisfactory performance of ALL skills listed in these standards by ALL students regardless of prior training. Students will complete a minimum of four cave dives for certification and at instructor discretion one open water evaluation dive. Students using double tanks will use 1/6 air rule. If certified at this level students must be informed they can only dive with a single tank.

I do not have a copy of the current NSS-CDS S&P but I can say that they also have a similar limitation. Not all agencies have this as a limtation, In fact I teach with another agency that has no such limits. IF it is Ginnie's choice not to observe that agency's limits then that also is their right to do so.

In sport diving Ginnie does not recognize the minimum age limit of a few of the agency's and we do not hear any griffling about that.
We do not hear how the fully certified cave divers are given a reduced entry fee. Surley if there was a case of descrimination then this would be one to point out.

We do not hear how when all the other cave diving sites are closed for the day that Ginnie is still open serving the cave diver for their enjoyment or instruction. We don't see a complaint of how instructors are more than welcome to use classroom facilities for their classes.
No we do not see any of these.

What we do see is a continuation of the internet chat boards showing nothing more then a collection of limited knowledge. People who are willing to site the other guy as not following standards and just as quickly proclaim that those standards do not apply to them. people who believe that if they choose they can go and kill themselves even if it is at the expense of others.

BUT OFFICER THE TRAFFIC IS ALL MOVING AT THE SAME RATE WHY DID YOU PULL ME OVER? Because you are going 80 mph in a 60 mph speed zone you violated the limits please sign here mam.

I can find no statistics that have shown an Intro diver diving a single tank where equipment was contributed to their fatality. Perhaps the diver on the single tank is more likely to check their pressure gauge. The intro to cave diver is not just limited to a single cylinder, they are also limited to avoiding decompression. This means that the Intro diver must have awareness of not just their air but their time status and as a result both will limit thie penetration all the time whilst building up their skills and awareness of the cave environment. PArt of the purpose to which this level of certification was intended. The other purpose was because there are divers out there who have no desire to move further on into cave diving and just like the opportunity to dive the occasional cave in its simplist form.

All this thread has done is shown the bad side of cave diving. IMO Ginnie is alright

this is a tempest in a teacup.

their house, their rules

dont' like it, don't go there

Was this post split from another thread? Who is critisizing Ginnie for imposing agency standards?
Sorry just re-read the post. Where is the original?

there was some discussion here, but mainly the criticism has happened
on other boards

Though I don't neccesarily agree with the rule that is being discussed elsewhere, I do think that Ginnie Springs deserves a lot of kudos from the cave diving community. I truly enjoy every trip that I make to Ginnie.

scubafool:
I do think that Ginnie Springs deserves a lot of kudos from the cave diving community. I truly enjoy every trip that I make to Ginnie.

How someone could read that whole thread and come to the conclusion that the main point is that Ginnie is doing a BAD job is beyond me.

I think the majority of the folks are complaining about the rule (about singles vs doubles for overhead diving) and how the NACD BOD's should really take a closer look at that rule. but of course we can all see the same thing and interpret it differently...thats how folks like Andy put food on the table

No I didn't miss that issue. The thread started out blaming Ginnie for holding up the standards which are shared by the agencies. Has any one conducted any research showing where a fatality has occured to a Intro diver wearing a single cylinder who has followed the rules where the cause of death was contributed to equipment failure?

There have been deaths as a result of cavern/Intro divers wearing doubles putting themselves where they do not have the training to go yet they must have felt they did have the experience to go there.

All I have read in this thread is that the agencies seem to be placing the diver at risk by such limitations and that many divers are willing to violate the standards for their own satisfaction. Siting that the agencies only are after the money. Last time I looked the NACD and the NSS-CDS were non-.profit organizations working to open cave sites and improve the exisiting ones. They work to improve diver safety not just cave divers but all divers in general.
Each fatality and standard violation that many of you abmit to committing have jeopardized the success of the work these agencies are working for and on your behalf regardless of you being a member to them or not.

FWIW I can see both sides to this argument but I chose not to bring them to a public venue such as this. Mob mentality achieves nothing. The agencies have in place a means to address such things in a professional manner. The singles vs doubles issue is nothing new and it like the other standards, is getting looked at on a routine basis. Someones failing to know the standards and getting mad when they are applied is not a justification to rant and rave siting that things need to be changed to match their personal opinion. You have a concern then fine voice your opinion but do so in a proper presentable manner and back it up with facts. Understand the reasons as to why a standard or procedure was written in the first place and what the cause would be if it were changed. Submit recommendations to adjusting or changing the standard. Change for changes sake only causes conflict and in the end has no result of a successful outcome.
The BOD for the NACD are looking at this issue and if things are to change then I am sure Ginnie will accept the chnage and life will go on.

GDI:
Each fatality and standard violation that many of you abmit to committing have jeopardized the success of the work these agencies are working for and on your behalf regardless of you being a member to them or not.

You bring up a very valid point. In the early 70s the sport was about to cease to exist due to the "learn from your mistakes" approach,which a mistake resulted in a fatality. I've spent an exhaustive amount of time talking to many of the old timers that were around then,and they all agree that if it wasn't for the creation of the agencies,then cave diving would not be a sport at all,but something done for research/scientific purpose only. The problem we have now is with the fatalities we've had now,and many being shown to be cave divers exceeding their experience level,some of the same issues being brought up in the 70s are coming back now. What makes it really hard is when you are talking to a state official about how safe the sport is,and they can quote things that they read off of our forums,and understand it,like an intro diver staging and scootering (ie). Their attitude becomes one of enforcement,which means they require you to stay within your training limits,and if that is unsuccessful,then from a risk management stand point it becomes easier to shut down the activity. Don't think people are blind,believe me I have seen documentation by rangers that get turned in of people who willfully violate the rules-what message does that say when we sit down with park managements to negotiate access or increasing carrying capacity.
I am like GDI,I see both sides of the argument about intro divers on single vs doubles. Maybe I am skewed in that I have been around long enough that I can't find a single accident that has occured from an intro diver on a single,but I can find many of an intro diver on doubles. Civil disobedience is not what we want to do,because it will hurt the sport,but an issue needs to be raised with the cave training agencies;their boards convene frequently,go there and discuss your points-in fact NSS-CDS April 1st in Marianna

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom