Kudos to the Ginnie Staff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is a stupid question and a "slight hi-jack" but is IANTD a cave training agency?
They have cavetraining in their standards and those standards allow doubles from Cavern and up (at least that´s the way I understand it, certainly from intro and on).

If I show up with doubles and my IANTD cavern cert, will I be allowed to dive them?

I´m taking full cave this summer with an instructor whos is nss-cds and iantd, should I ask for a nss-cds card, when (if) I pass?

If you wanna practice with DBL's before Full Cave. How hard is it to ask your instructor to write you a letter. I asked my instructor, he had no problems with writing one. If your going to spend the money for all the Gear, Why not spend the money to learn how to use it. I've complained about this rule..... The reason I complained was because I was to lazy to get off my ?%#$ and call my instructor.

Nic160:
If you wanna practice with DBL's before Full Cave. How hard is it to ask your instructor to write you a letter. I asked my instructor, he had no problems with writing one. If your going to spend the money for all the Gear, Why not spend the money to learn how to use it. I've complained about this rule..... The reason I complained was because I was to lazy to get off my ?%#$ and call my instructor.

Impossible since my instructor is only certified as a intro instructor (needs one more full cave co-teach) and isn't allowed to give me the wavier.

Makes perfectly good sense to me. I just can't understand why car makers are not putting speed governers on their cars to protect them from suits from folks who are injured by speeding drivers.

:lurk: this is gonna be good. IMO they have rules just follow them.

WaterDawg:
I think the majority of the folks are complaining about the rule (about singles vs doubles for overhead diving)

Yeah, the rule itself is completely beyond logic or reason and is borderline moronic, but it's not Ginnie's fault.

I don't think anyone would argue that it's ok to go inside a wreck with a single tank, and I don't think it's a good idea to do cave dives on a single tank. Specifically prohibiting doubles is just fundamentally *stupid*.

It just gives the more ballsy people more motivation to do something the aren't ready for. And if you are ready, go take the courses. Ya know

Im not a cave diver. but I would for sure follow the rules.

GDI:
No I didn't miss that issue. The thread started out blaming Ginnie for holding up the standards which are shared by the agencies. Has any one conducted any research showing where a fatality has occured to a Intro diver wearing a single cylinder who has followed the rules where the cause of death was contributed to equipment failure?

Who cares? Is having redundancy safer than not having redundancy when you are underwater and have 60 feet of rock above your head and have to swim a few hundred feet to get out? ESPECIALLY for a new cave diver? Undeniably, unquestionably yes...

wheelietaco:
It just gives the more ballsy people more motivation to do something the aren't ready for.

No it doesn't. The ballsy people are going to do stupid things regardless of what the standards say. Dive 1/6ths. Problem solved. You've limited the penetration distance, are using the same amount of gas and have doubled your contingency (actually, quadrupled if you count your buddy). There is no *reasonable* justification for these rules. Overhead environment = doubles, no ifs, ands, buts, butts, or asses.

Or, do you think removing seatbelts from cars to keep from driving fast is a good idea, too? :D

honestly how many people actually wear seatbelts? its a law and people still die cause they don't wear them. The ballsy people think " it won't happen to me"

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom