Kona 5/6-5/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgy

Registered
Reaction score
We are heade to Kona in May and my husband wants to dive but nobody else going dives. I would like a recommendation for a dive boat where he can dive with a group and should i make reservations now?

sgy:
We are heade to Kona in May and my husband wants to dive but nobody else going dives. I would like a recommendation for a dive boat where he can dive with a group and should i make reservations now?

When resort diving, advanced reservations are always a good idea.

I highly recommend Kona Diving Adventures/Tek Adventures. A very professional and fun crew, meticulously maintained boat ("Kaha"), small dive groups, lots of space, and some genuinely cool people.

Give Keith a call at 1-877-885-DIVE, tell him Mer sent you.

http://www.konadivingadventures.com/Main/AboutUs.htm

There are a bunch of good operators in Kona and they pretty much all take individual divers and dive as a large buddy group. May is our slow time (May, September and October tend to be the slowest months), take a little bit of time to check out Kona diving websites and make a couple inquiries and you will be very likely to book with the operator you choose with relatively short notice (a day to a week or two usually suffices during the slow times, but earlier will generally help guarantee getiing a spot on the day you want with the op you want) unless someone takes out the entire boat.

Have fun.

Steve

sgy:

Last summer, my wife and I dove with Dive Makai. Also a very good operator and you would enjoy their trips. You will find though, that dive operators only have morning or night dives. The trade winds kick up in the afternoon making it a bit rough for diving.

Have fun, the diving in Kona is great.

Just finished diving with Pacific Rim Divers. It's a small outfit (no physical shop) and they only take out 6 divers max. Patrice (the owner) leads the dives and does a great job pointing things out (and writing them on her slate). She also makes great brownies.

sgy:

See my post via the link below reporting on our trip last week to Kona. LIke your husband, I was the only diver in the family. You should make your reservation in advance, especially if he wants to do the evening/night Manta Ray Dive.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t92026-diving-kona-is-great-but-driving-from-kohala-isnt.html

The websites for the two operators mentioned in my trip report:

www.divemakai.com
www.jacksdivinglocker.com

Private message me if you have any questions.

sgy:

I will be going to Kona May 24th-June 2nd. I have booked with Kona-honu Divers. I will be Diving on my own if you would like to give me some info on when you'll be there.

We'll be diving with Dive Makai and Jack's in early June. They both seem to run very reputable ops.

J.

jedah:
We'll be diving with Dive Makai and Jack's in early June. They both seem to run very reputable ops.

J.

You'll like both.

I thought Dive Makai was great with an early start (7:15 at the wharf) and an early return, back at the wharf before noon after the two tank dives. Kendra is a hoot!

The photo (below) of the turtle and its friends at a "cleaning station" is courtesy of another ScubaBoard member, but I swear it's the very same turtle we saw with Dive Makai! The second photo I took with a $20 U/W camera the dive shops sell.

Jack's is also an excellent dive op. Full service, with a really nice retail shop. The morning dive trip gets started later with Jack's, which is great if you like to sleep in a bit. The return to the shop isn't until about 2:30 after the morning two tanker.

Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom