2 islands or 1? Maui or Kona then Maui??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been visiting Maui every other year for the last 14 years and love it every time we go.

It has gotten more touristy, but it’s still no where near Oahu. There are multiple options for places to eat that are very good.

While the big island is, well, bigger, and undoubtedly has more options for diving, for a week there is still more than enough diving around Maui with multiple beach dive options, charters to molokini, and
charters to the south of Lanai.

I’ve never been to Kona or the big islands, so I have nothing to offer there.

If you have 10+ days then splitting between two islands can be done with enough time to enjoy both islands.

I was last in HI just under 20 years ago for our honeymoon so stale experience for sure....but yeah, we did three islands in 2 weeks and it was a great trip. Oahu, Kuwai, and Maui. So yeah 2 weeks is enough to do multiple islands....although doing only 1 would be great too! In my opinion each island has a very wide range of feels.... Maui's East end was very different than the West while the middle portion was more like city. Other islands were similar but very different
My only advice...don't do what we did...we schlepped snorkel gear for both of us all the way there.... she got sick with a sinus infection on the way and had other issues to.....so we carried masks, fins, and snorkels around to I think four different hotels on three islands...and never took any of it into the water! I'm still aggravated about that!

Kona is laid back. Maui and Oahu are tropical Seattle's to me. We did the atv tour on the southern point and it was amazing (the other atv tours take you through old fields that are full of pig **** mud). Great hiking and amazing food throughout. The whole island moves slower than either Maui or Oahu. We stayed at the VI resort in Kona. Next time we may stay with the Worldmark across the street since they have AC in the entire suite vs only the master bedroom at the Sea Village. If not Kona then we'll head to Kauai to avoid the touristy feeling of Hawaii.
When I saw the controlled bike rides down the road from Haleakala, this doomed Maui for me :)

Can't speak to Maui but Kona is a nice place to stay - we have also stayed farther north on the Big Island in Waikoloa, also nice. Kona has more stores, restaurants, dive shops, etc... All of the things you're looking for can be found on the Big Island.

We did the manta ray snorkel as we had 2 non-divers which, imho, gets you the same experience - mantas are just coming up to you instead of coming down to you.

The question I would ask is if it is worth it to hop over to Kona just for the manta ray dive? Especially since your not doing a dive specific trip. I'm pretty sure Maui has some kind of manta snorkel or dive.

The nice thing is that with 2 weeks (and if money's not an issue) you have options as far as hitting 2 islands goes. Although I think the diving is great on the Big Island and there is probably enough to keep you busy for 2 weeks, I, personally, wouldn't go just to do the manta dive.
I wouldn’t say it’s not a dive specific trip. We bring all our own gear and the diving would be paramount. It’s just that it’s not the only thing we want to do. I wouldn’t say the Manta Dive was the only reason to go to Kona. I just meant that we’d want to go to Kona if the diving is that much better. This is all giving me pause.

Never dove Maui but did Kona in 2016. Lots to see beside diving. Kona side, more arid and volcanic but lots of beaches you can walk and stroll, and offer boat and shore dive opportunities. The night Manta dive is great but the black water dive is quite an eye opener..on a tether 30 ft under the boat, in 6000 ft of water, at night.

Captain Cook area, shore dive at 2 Steps and if you are lucky will do so as a dolphin pod is hunting and feeding. The historical refuge site is a nice place to visit.

South Point...the bluff, the trek to green sand beach.

Volcano Park...self explanatory.

Hilo...More rain forest/tropical. Great waterfalls and Botanical Garden.

This was enough to keep my wife and I busy for a full two weeks.

There are people on here with much more Hawaii experience than me but, for my part, be aware that any island changing pretty much takes a day. If you're diving, then there's time before the flight that also has to be accounted for. Maybe not such a big deal with two islands and two weeks but still something to keep in mind.

All I've done is the manta dive off of Kona. It was all divemaster led which isn't my thing but...whatever...the mantas were cool to watch.

Kona-Kohala coast has clear water (lava bottom not sand) and interesting places south of Keauhou, punchbowls lined with coral (Kealakekua and Honaunau Bays), nice reef and arches off Puako. Turtles, eagle rays, manta (daytime and the cattleboat night trips).
Kohala Divers are good up north.

I would go to Big Island first. If you want to see Volcanoes NP, flying into Hilo you can do that first staying a couple of nights in Volcano or Hilo, then move over to the west side seeing lush Hamakua Coast on the drive. A couple of beach or history days (Puuhonua o Honaunau for example) and you are ready to dive. The best higher end food is imo in the resorts.

Then go to Maui for the rest and fly home from there.
Edit: imo even local food is better on Maui than Big Island unless maybe around Hilo. A lot of good midrange places closed since 2020,

When it comes to Hawai'i. I always say "Big Island mo bettah" The Big Island has anything you can want. The Kona area is beautiful. I would skip the high end resort food though and eat local. Some of the best food I have ever eaten came from local spots around the Big Island.

I have been to both Kona and Maui. Kona has great diving and the manta dive. Maui has access to Lanai and shore diving. Shore diving, I understand is somewhat limited on the Kona coast. But I have only done boat dives on kona. I dont think you would be disappointed by either but it may not be worth relocating from one island to another in a single trip

Going to Kona next week, I used to fly there once a month for a gig that lasted 1.5 years. As a diver, I don't think there is a better Island than the Big Island, plenty of shore dives, boat dives, nice beaches and exploration. The Big Island, really is much larger than Maui and has a lot of options. Hapuna Beach, for example is constantly rated one of the best beaches in the World, soft white sand. As others have mentioned there are also black sand, and green sand beaches on the Big Island, lava tubes, an active volcano and Kona Coffee Tours. Maui is where my ex liked to go, it was very much like Orange County, CA, where we lived, but on a small Island. Very expensive, but nice restaurants, pretty built up and some diving. Maui lacks the huge beaches, many are pretty small. Go off shore in Maui and you see these little green trees and about nothing else off many of the beaches. The exception is near Grand Wailea, Kihei area. There is a member here that was doing Scooter dives, which were quite incredible right off the shore in Maui, I think I did that at least 3 times. If you want fine dining, some nice shops and hotels, then I would say Maui. If you are ok with renting a condo, renting a car, driving a lot, want to see what slowwwwww is really like, then try the Big Island. I would not do both Islands unless it was for 2 or more weeks.
It will be mine and my wife's first time to the Big Island next month (April), staying in the Kailua-Kona area. We're planning to do a mix of boat diving and shore diving (have done a decent amount of shore diving in Maui and a ton in Bonaire). Any particular shore diving spots you could recommend this time of year (day-of conditions depending)? Also, any chance you recall the forum member that was doing scooter dives - that sounds like a blast? Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom