2 islands or 1? Maui or Kona then Maui??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 step. 40 min drive south and has some decent snorkeling there as well. Arrive early 7-8am and you'll likely get a parking space $5(I think). The entry can be sketchy with full kit on but really isn't that bad. Lots of little urchins living in the lava rock that makes up the shelf there.

It will be mine and my wife's first time to the Big Island next month (April), staying in the Kailua-Kona area. We're planning to do a mix of boat diving and shore diving (have done a decent amount of shore diving in Maui and a ton in Bonaire). Any particular shore diving spots you could recommend this time of year (day-of conditions depending)? Also, any chance you recall the forum member that was doing scooter dives - that sounds like a blast? Thanks in advance!
Get the book.

I've been researching Kona as well for an upcoming trip. Kona Honu Divers (one of the dive ops I'm shortlisting for some guided dives) also publishes a map with details on shore diving on the Kona coast, including how to assess conditions and when sites may be difficult/impossible to access.
I like Kona Honu shop a lot, but their map shows little knowledge of the south of the island. This is not surprising because most dive shops are either in the Kona area or in the north.

It will be mine and my wife's first time to the Big Island next month (April), staying in the Kailua-Kona area. We're planning to do a mix of boat diving and shore diving (have done a decent amount of shore diving in Maui and a ton in Bonaire). Any particular shore diving spots you could recommend this time of year (day-of conditions depending)? Also, any chance you recall the forum member that was doing scooter dives - that sounds like a blast? Thanks in advance!
2 Step is almost always a calm entry and the local shops do offer assistance.

scubahawk27 was the member that I went scooter diving with in Maui.​

you can scooter dive with maui dreams.

What did you decide? I’ve been both and you can’t go wrong. I think more time on each island is best.

Back
Top Bottom